Half plot allotment

• 13 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Half plot allotment
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:32 »
Someone was about to lose their plot as they've been struggling to look after it due to leg problems. Thankfully one of the residents were familiar with myself and I've been very kindly offered half the plot; making it a more manageable size for them.

The area I'm sharing is to the right of the path in the photo, I'll be getting the upper half while they'll have further back where their shed is. I'm told there are still onions and potatoes hidden about :) The pallets are going to be used to build a dividing wall so there is no confusion as to whose bit is which.

This isn't the first time I've cleared ground as I've done voluntary work before to test the waters, but it's certainly the biggest so I'd appreciate any advice. It also looks to have horse tail, the drying beans you can see further back were swamped with them.

My plan is to clear enough space for a garlic and onion bed before the end of the month, I already have onions going from seed that I planned to go into containers anyway. I was also told during the visit that there is still a chance to put broad beans in for November? After that I can work my way down over autumn and winter at my own pace.

Rules require that when I get a shed that it goes at the very end of the plot where that fence is, so I'm going to have to plan a space there before planting anything.

Quite excited as I've been limited to containers in the back garden before now, just hope I'm up to it.
Allotment.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Half plot allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40 »
That looks a nice plot to start with - good luck with it.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:09 »
Congrats on the plot and good luck with the clearing of it too.  :D

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:57 »
Good luck with the new plot.

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 13:25 »
Good luck with your endeavours. Autumn onions and broad beans is a good start to getting the plot manageable over Winter. Onions now, broad beans first week in November... they don't want to be too big over the Winter. There appears to be a bed or two that have been used recently, so that should help the digging.
I don't know about mares' tail, but you sure seem to have a problem with pallets seeding themselves  :)

Ledders

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 20:16 »
Fab, have fun. You might want to consider using the pallets for compost bins instead - looks like you might get a fair amount of waste when clearing the beds.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 20:50 »
Fab, have fun. You might want to consider using the pallets for compost bins instead - looks like you might get a fair amount of waste when clearing the beds.
They're the property of the original plot owner and he said he'd like a "fence" between the two, but yes I'll have to get some pallets in or something like them for a composting area. I plan to start on it tomorrow, for now I can bag what I pull up.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 22:42 »
Nice looking plot.  Have fun with it - it's exciting.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47 »
Well done and good luck, shame the weather is changing and we are getting more rain.

You could consider a diary on the forum and keep a record of your progress - they have comment links then you can get feedback on what you are doing on a regular basis. Plus we like to see what others are doing and trying out.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 22:59 »
I'm not sure how often I'll update it, but I'll certainly have a go at keeping a diary. I've updated it on things thus far  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=117081.0

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 07:41 »
Well done you now you need to make a comments thread so that you get the interaction you are looking for. Some of us put the links to the diary and the comments in our profile so they appear at the bottom of our posts. It saves going to the first couple of pages of the diary where most people place the link to the comments page

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 17:50 »
There we go, thank you for the recommendations.

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 19:45 »
Loving reading your diary, please keep it up Grey. Thoroughly enjoying myself.  :tongue2:

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 21:30 »
Whatever I'm doing to keep you entertained Muls; I'll certainly try to keep doing it  :lol:

clip
New half Allotment -

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 07:01
by paul sadler
xx
New Half Allotment - Potatoes and Raspberries - Best place to buy?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 08:10
by adri
xx
New half plot

Started by Audy70 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 13:26
by Audy70
xx
New half-plot

Started by borderer1951 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 11:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 40 queries.