Woodlice

• 16 Replies

Pete C

• Experienced Member
Woodlice
« on: November 16, 2008, 20:36 »
On the plot today, I uncovered a wooden box. It's about 3ft x 2ft x 1ft deep. When I lifted the lid, I found a huge nest of woodlice. I've left them be for now, but need to know if they are beneficial to the plot or not. ie, do I destroy them, if so, what with............or spread them around a bit??
Ta :)
Pete C

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Woodlice
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 20:43 »
Leave 'em be!

From...

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/wlice.htm

Woodlice are quite harmless and in fact beneficial in their proper habitat by promoting the breakdown of dead vegetation and organic matter in the soil.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Pete C

• Experienced Member
Woodlice
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 20:57 »
Thanks DD. I'll remove the box and let them scatter then. :)

gobs

Woodlice
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 21:00 »
I never bother with them, Pete, they can do some damage to young seedlings in theory, it never is really an issue in practise to worry about.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Becci

Woodlice
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 20:57 »
it's a definite big issue in my experience! they eat anything they can get their little crustacean munchers on to. grrrrrrrrr. strawberries, tomatoes, turnips, beetroots, kale, potatoes and my goodness they'll clear a seed tray in a night! grrrrr. and before anyone wants to advise me that they only eat dead material and are just picking up where the slugs left off, its not true - i have sat and watched them in bewilderment for far longer than any undisturbed-by-woodlice person would.... i watched loads of them cluster around the circumference of a kale stem, it almost appeared they were dead as there was no movement. some time later i scraped the bleepers off and left behind was a deep furrow of munched-ness. grrrrrrrr.

BUT i believe there are 2 types of woodlice - those who eat only dead material (which are lovely to have in your compost heap and garden) and those who may eat your vegetables (which are not). And i also believe that i have an infestation of them, which obviosly makes them much more of a pain than if you only had a box full.

SO, you'll probably be ok with a box full scattered, but be warned..... you may end up as bitterly disappointed (and un-believed!) as me.

...phew! it's good to get it off me chest!

poultrygeist

Woodlice
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 22:07 »
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/woodlous.htm

Concise description backing up what you say becci.

Diatom is recommended as a control where you don't want them. eg. greenhouse, around beds, etc.

When we had our damp-proof course injected, abotu an hour later, the walls were smothered in them. They hide in the damp, lower brickwork and run for the hills when the brickwork is injected.

Rob 8)

peterjf

woodlice
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 23:00 »
the woodlice eats decay , and young stems , more beneficial to your compost heap , scoop them up if you can

Salmo

Woodlice
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 23:14 »
I am a little surprised to hear of woodlice attacking and damaging plants. Is it possible that they are flat millipedes which sometimes wipe out whole fields of young seedlings?

See image http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P1/P17716.php

woodburner

Woodlice
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 23:47 »
There are definitely at least two types of the beasties, some can roll up into a neat ball, others can't! I have no idea which might be beneficial and which harmless though. It was just something I noticed as a kid.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

compostqueen

Woodlice
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 00:14 »
you'd think birds would eat them all up. Wonder if they're too prickly or taste horrid  :?

paintedlady

Woodlice
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 09:27 »
I harvested my lovely big celeriac over the weekend, sliced one in half and 2 woodlice crawled out of the blackened cavity ...  :(   Some of my carrots had nests on the top, and I've lost a few potatoes with them as well.

Generally they are not a problem but some crops do seem more prone to their scavenging than others, especially the slow growing, overwintering ones.  I don't think birds see them generally - woodlice like to stay out of the light and you'll normally find them under wood or stones (or under your containers) during the day
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Becci

Woodlice
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 09:39 »
They are defo woodlice and not milipedes, no mistaking them there!

I just found this link for anyone thats interested, which says there are 2 kinds of woodlice - those that compost and those that eat plant tissue..

http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/garden_pest_wood_lice.html

I'm gonna have a go with the Diatomaceous Earth, and maybe trapping them and putting the in the bird feeder. I think the bids are put off by coming into the main garden by the cats and dogs.. if they taste as good as reputed it'll be a great treat for them, but i have to say i'm not at all interested myself!  :pukel:

compostqueen

Woodlice
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 09:52 »
We got loads in the hall when we put some chipped bark on the garden path.  I gave it a good rake to encourage the birds to get busy.  

Honestly, you could do with borrowing some chooks

leafmould

Woodlice
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 10:45 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
you'd think birds would eat them all up. Wonder if they're too prickly or taste horrid  :?

Nah, they taste like Shrimp.

paintedlady

Woodlice
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:16 »
That link had some interesting information and ideas.

Becci - Just be careful when handling the Diatomaceous Earth and do not breathe in the dust: it can be harmful (abrasive) to lung tissue and acts a lot like cement dust  :wink:

xx
Woodlice in strawberries!

Started by Penny Finn on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 18:28
by deemullan
xx
Woodlice problem

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 22:44
by Annie
xx
Strawberries and Woodlice

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2020, 11:11
by andyww2013
xx
lousy woodlice!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 20:45
by puravida

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 33 queries.