PH

• 4 Replies

MoreWhisky

PH
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:33 »
I thought i would try a soil ph tester (bought from BQ for £1.99) as i see the ph question gets mentioned here.

Tried 2 places on my plot and got same reading for both tests which is between the light green Neutral 7.0 and the dark green Alkaline 8.0.

So i guess my soil is Slightly Alkaline 7.5.

Now that ive worked that out it doesnt actually mean a great lot to me as still learning all this stuff. So could someone please explain to me,
 if this is where my soil should be at?
if not what should i be doing?
And if there anything thats praticulary good and bad to grow on a soil with that ph?

I always thought my soil is real good so im hoping the ph test shows that. help  :)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: PH
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 13:07 »

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 13:34 »
Your soil pH is high and either you are on a naturally alkaline soil, limestone or chalk, or it has been well limed in the past. Better alkaline than acid. The pH scale is logrithmic, which means that pH 8 has 10 times the lime of pH 7, and pH 7 has 10 times the lime of pH 6 and so on.
When soils have a pH much above 8 or below 5 some of the nutrients become unavailable to the plants, especially phosphate.

Is yours is an electronic tester with a probe to stick into the soil? These can give variable results and I would take them as a rough guide, which is all you need. Make sure that the soil is moist when you test and test in many more than 2 places.

If you are testing with a kit with test tubes and indicator, the proper way to do it is to take several samples with a trowell down to about 6 inches, mix thoroughly, and test the mixture.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 16:21 »
Thanks for your helps and comments so far  :D

Been reading more into this seems more complicated than i first thought manure/lime/fertilisers  ??? just hope 7.5ph isnt to high for me spuds 

carrotlovers

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 20:31 »
pH of my plot's been almost 8 since I've had it. Had no issues with spuds, nor anything else for that matter. Never been limed by me, so I guess the previous owner done it. Coming down slowly over the years with additions of manure though...
So much to grow, so little room....

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 37 queries.