is it turkey for Christmas ?

• 26 Replies

rowlandwells

is it turkey for Christmas ?
« on: December 08, 2022, 13:19 »
Turkey. is it a  Christmas tradition to have turkey for Christmas as we have done for years is turkey every ones choice of meal for Christmas  ? personally I'm not to bothered with having a whole Turkey turkey drumsticks will do me and my wife's not a fan of turkey and as turkey's mite  to be in short supply and not forgetting the what a turkey mite cost us this year should we turn to some thing deferent

I don't mind if I do a nice piece of pork or lamb maybe a piece of salmon so whatever meat dishes we chose we still can have all the trimmings can't we a nice piece of rolled shoulder of lamb or pork stuffed makes the ideal meal for me so what's your thoughts on having turkey for Christmas or perhaps something different

GraciesGran

Re: is it turkey for Christmas ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 13:29 »
We are having a turkey crown and a leg of lamb.  Husband loves turkey and lamb is my favourite, we'll enjoy it cold for a few days after.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 13:43 »
I'm not that struck on turkey, always find it a bit dry.
This year it'll be loin of pork with stuffing, under a puff pastry lid.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 13:51 »
I have a turkey on order from the local butcher so fingers crossed it will arrive!
My daughter’s family will be with us for Christmas lunch so I need a decent size bird to feed us all. Mind you if it all goes wrong I’m sure I could create something else.  :)
Keep digging

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 16:36 »
Tesco buttered chicken breast joint here! Enough for two of us three times!

£5.60 and an aluminium tin thrown in as well!

(Just made a curry from a load of chicken from last Christmas (!) so we don't hang about...;0)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 17:26 »
We're having turkey and a leg of mince  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 17:47 »
I’ve ordered a rib f beef & a turkey crown from my friendly farmer, it’s for us & our daughter & partner, we’re having the beef at theirs on Christmas Day & then we’re sharing the rest of it & she’ll cook the turkey on Christmas Eve for their outlaws on Boxing Day & we’ll share that as well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 18:43 »
We've had beef for years, not a big piece as it's only me and Mum. But it should be enough to do a Delia special cottage pie the next day  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 08:22 »
There's a turkey crown in the freezer for us.  I'm not that keen, much prefer the curry, pie etc made with the leftovers.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 17:37 »
We've had beef for years, not a big piece as it's only me and Mum. But it should be enough to do a Delia special cottage pie the next day  :)

Many years ago, I worked for a company which gave everyone a turkey and a joint of pork for Christmas! They also gave us a bottle of Scotch, which was all very generous and very welcome!

One year, I asked if we could have beef instead as we're not that keen on turkey, and they handsomely obliged with a rolled piece of sirloin about 18" long and the same size of rolled pork! The Scotch 'just happened' to be a single malt (I was in charge of comestibles...), and a good time was had by all, as the beef was cut in half and the other bit frozen, and the pork also cut and was frozen for Easter!

Somehow the Scotch didn't last very long...

This little story always comes out around this time of year, and we all toast the old company for such generosity, as there were a couple of hundred of us all striving to make a decent crust back then in the eighties!

MrsPea

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 18:14 »
 Christmas day were having curry, but i shall get a small cown for us, we use to go out for curry but it's got so expensive i order it the night before put it in the fridge and heat up on the day, saves all the messing about.
It's just another day, sorry i'm a bar humbug  :)
I Love my green house

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 18:20 »
Good reminder of past company generosity Growster.
Mine used to send a large hamper to pensioners this shrank over the years and then became cash. Finally expired to nothing. Covid provided the rationale to cancel the annual pensioner dinner too. Doubt that will ever be resumed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 19:07 »
Covid provided the rationale to cancel the annual pensioner dinner too. Doubt that will ever be resumed.
Same with mine  :(

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 19:56 »
We had roast turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner, as is the tradition.  It's my favorite meal of the year.  Mrs. Subversive does a wonderful job with the bird.  I was in charge of making 2 pies, pumpkin and apple.

Christmas cooking will be my job.  Brunch will be turkey sausage gravy with home-made biscuits (biscuits here are a simple flaky bread; my understanding is that what we call "cookies" here, you call biscuits there?).

Christmas dinner is also my job, chicken smothered with almonds and aromatic spices, served with a mushroom rice pilaf (Indian dishes).  Most likely served with saag (Indian buttered greens), or possibly a green salad if the greens in the garden are ready.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2022, 20:44 »
with home-made biscuits (biscuits here are a simple flaky bread; my understanding is that what we call "cookies" here, you call biscuits there?).
From the recipes/pics online, they are much the same as our 'scones' but minus sugar in the mix, so guess your recipe may have arrived with the Scots/Irish  :)
Biscuits here are mostly quite flat and dry, but we do have thicker cookies, nowadays as well - just to complicate things  :D

xx
turkey was off, the ending.

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

40 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 19:12
by LILLILEAF
xx
My Christmas is now over

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2019, 13:37
by mumofstig
xx
Christmas already

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2021, 20:08
by jezza
xx
My Christmas Day was certainly Different ......

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2019, 17:19
by Growster...

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 52 queries.