a coal mine

• 10 Replies

rowlandwells

a coal mine
« on: December 08, 2022, 12:44 »
did I hear right there going to open up a coal mine all that lovely black stuff coming out the ground well it better than buying coke fuel from Putin's Russia and someone said another country was producing lots more coal to power there new power stations so much for global warming A

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: a coal mine
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 12:53 »
I believe that if coal is mined here it will be for the steel industry.
5F3F581D-4059-4E48-850C-141E21F779E8.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 13:54 »
Just so Aunty, I also read that this coal will probably be exported as they don't think it'll be the 'right' quality for most of our own steel plants  ::) I can't work out who this will actually benefit, but I don't think it will help "keep home-fires burning"  :wacko:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 14:45 »
Just so Aunty, I also read that this coal will probably be exported as they don't think it'll be the 'right' quality for most of our own steel plants  ::) I can't work out who this will actually benefit, but I don't think it will help "keep home-fires burning"  :wacko:

It does sound very strange, and just who will go down to operate these mines  ?    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 16:18 »
It has to be better for us to use our own resources and not import huge quantities of coal for making steel!

These new mines will be run properly, and have none of the issues we normally asociate with the awful conditions or yesteryear, and the exports will help tremendously!

It's about time we looked after UK interests, and stopped faffing about with over-green issues, there's a whole British population to support, and we all need that from firm government and responsibilities!

I'm all for the new initiative, and expect fracking to follow when we have some leadership in government too.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 09:33 »
As a Cumbrian (born when it was Cumberland) and with relatives in both Whithaven and Workington, I say whoopey and I'm amazed that politicians are actually thinking of people north of Watford Gap.

But then the steel is for their electric vehicles!

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 18:59 »
Tony you and Growster took the words write  out of my mouth it  was like a breath of fresh air at last some one with a bit of common cense and Kleftiwallah I live within spitting distance of Watford gap anything south of that you will need a passport  :lol:

when I was shop steward the company I worked for always said our Leeds drivers didn't need as much as us down south I could never understand there mentality so we told them we all work for the same company and all deserve the same pay rise that they dully got at Leeds

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 19:40 »
For a while I ran the wheel, tyre and brake unit bay at RAF Northolt.  At wage negotiation time the ground equipment engineers wanted the same pay as the aircraft engineers,  they were told "When you can pull over into a layby at 30,000 feet you'll get the same wage"!

Cheers,  Tony.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 19:45 »

Typically, "right quality" for coal can often be related to sulfur content.  High sulfur coal (used for coking coal) not only causes air pollution, but also can degrade steel quality. The second problem can be dealt with using advanced coking coal processing methods, but that adds to steel production costs, lowering profitability.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 15:07 »
It's for creating a type of coke that is used for making our steel. At present that coke is imported from overseas so its carbon footprint includes the sea-freight. Mining it locally in West Cumbria will avoid that footprint addition. I wish the mine's proposers would get their act together and do a better job of explaining this advantage

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 09:58 »
They need a better PR department if we want to have more wind farms we need steel to produce them. It sounds sensible to produce the coal here rather than import mind you I have heard a suggestion that 80% of the coal would be exported as our producers don’t need it. Perhaps we actually need to renationalise and have our own producers making the steel we need here.
Keep digging

xx
Coal in the USA

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2020, 20:21
by Growster...
xx
Coal shed now full - again...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post November 14, 2021, 13:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
Phasing out coal and wood next year...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post March 08, 2020, 05:58
by Growster...
xx
Quandry over fake coal/ log-effect fires.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2024, 09:51
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 50 queries.