Choosing colour for emulsion paint.

• 31 Replies

Goosegirl

Choosing colour for emulsion paint.
« on: October 17, 2021, 14:16 »
We had to have our chimney breast wall re-done as the old salts had leached out into the cement/plaster and caused a bit of damp on the wallpaper. Cue choosing the right wallpaper which we did. As our home was previously papered with anaglypta and painted magnolia we wanted to put our own mark on the colour scheme so we looked and got some tester pots. Is it me or does the person who gives the paint names a bit colour blind?? We wanted a light but slightly sunny green and all we got were various light greens but all had a greyish tinge. We then wondered about a pale stone colour instead but with a bit of warmth so I got two more tester pots called Just Walnut and Nutmeg White as the colours on the attached labels looked a good bet. Mmm. Just Walnut is a quite fetching shade of lavender and Nutmeg White is a lighter version of it. Anyone else find this especially this year's selection which all seem to have various slight tinges of grey.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wighty

Re: Choosing colour for emulsion paint.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 16:41 »
I asked the Crown (who we deal with) rep how they come up with the names.  He said they all sit round a table and throw in their suggestion for each new colour, this is then debated until they reach a decision.   I recognize the colours you mention as I always keep a copy of their latest offering in the drawer so if someone comes in and asks for their paint, I can try and match up from our range.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 17:44 »
The more ridiculous the name the trendier the colour.

wighty

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 20:15 »
Crown has a 'school crossing patrol' on their latest offering.  (It's a dark green if anyone is interested.)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 20:42 »
Crown has a 'school crossing patrol' on their latest offering.  (It's a dark green if anyone is interested.)

???

I associate lollipop lady or gentleman yellow with that.  Where does green come into it :wacko:

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 05:36 »
We seem to finish up with 'hints' of colours everywhere, and I think much of the green is 'Hint of apple', which makes a room look more spring-like and fresh.

I'm all for a beige 'hint though', and harsh colours like blue, orange or red are certainly out! Our actual fireplace is a stone paint.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 12:11 »
I've currently got two tester pots coming from Little Greene and am also going to look at Dulux trade for some stone-coloured ones this time and hope something suitably light but warm-looking turns up.  8)

grinling

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 17:00 »
Little Greene paint is fantastic, I used it with an emulsion brush and had no streaks at all.
Hubby uses dulux select own colour for crafting, price is good and you get the exact colour as on the card.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 22:09 »
I used Nutmeg white some years ago, and remember that it came out a bit more mushroom/purple than I intended, albeit more pronounced in the darker corners of the room.

Grey is very much the 'on trend' colour.  I was looking at kitchen catalogues and soooo many grey kitchens ...  ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 22:10 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 07:35 »
Yes, we've noticed that predominately the colours we are asked to mix are grey or yellow based and a couple of decorators we know have confirmed they turn up and these are the colours they are given to use.  We used to moan every January when the hotels were closed and were 'tarting' up their premises for the next season as we couldn't keep up with the requests for magnolia.  (Apparently magnolia doesn't show nicotine staining as much as other colours!)

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 10:02 »
I don't get the whole "shade" or "hint" of  :nowink: it just looks like a mucky version of the colour to me  ::) Being inept when painting here it requires 2 colours and they come in 10ltr tubs, magnolia on the walls and white on the ceilings. I've remarked before about all this grey being the equivalent of the '70's brown and orange.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 11:53 »
When we moved to The Turrets over thirty years ago, the kitchen was bright green, the lounge was hideous pink, one bedroom hadn't even been painted since it was built in 1952, and the windows were bright blue!

It took ages to cover all that mess, and also longer as the ceilings were smothered in distemper, which peeled off in swathes...

I really don't mind magnolia, It's always been around in most places we've lived in!

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 12:18 »
Er?  :blush: :blush: :blush:

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 12:25 »
Well, two of the Little Greene ones were greyish again, but one was green though a bit darker than their chart. Looking at Velspar's charts you can click on a colour then see it in sun, fluorescent and bulb lighting; however the bulb selection made the vast majority look purple-ish. I've just gone for sample cards of theirs plus some more tester pots from Dulux. If all else fails we might just re-do the walls with magnolia.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 15:06 »
"If all else fails we might just re-do the walls with magnolia."

I would, life's too short to stuff a mushroom...

xx
Advice on choosing appliances.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2023, 17:46
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 52 queries.