Freezing apples before juicing?

• 5 Replies

Auntiemogs

Freezing apples before juicing?
« on: September 14, 2017, 13:57 »
Having decided to make the most of my folk's apples (Spartans & Bramleys), I wondered if anyone had tried freezing the apples before juicing?  I know that I should get more juice, but if it's going to take a lot longer to clear, I'll stick to just juicing...

Also, does anyone have a good 'rule of thumb' on the ratio of cookers to eaters?

AM  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Auntiemogs

Re: Freezing apples before juicing?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 16:04 »
Just updating, in case anyone is interested.... :)

Mini-test on 2 apples (1 frozen, 1 fresh):-
Whilst the frozen apple initially seems to produce more juice, it contains more particulate matter.  The resulting juice from the frozen apple is more cloudy, and is probably not much more by the time it has settled, which takes longer.  It also seems to be easier to squeeze any remaining juice from the pomace from the fresh apple.

AM  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 17:09 »
Freezing is supposed to speed up the fermentation process of the juice as well, if you are going down that route.  I guess because the fruit flesh is broken down more so the yeast can get to work on it faster  :unsure:

I have a very old wine book that I still use and the author enthusiastically recommends freezing any surplus fruit that comes along for later wine making.  I've tried it with gooseberry and apple and it did seem to be true.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 19:24 »
Yes, it worked really well with the rhubarb, which I sliced quite finely before freezing.  A lot more juice was drawn out when I mixed in the sugar, compared to the non-frozen. 

I'm actually quite relieved, as I have a freezer full of tomatoes at the moment!  ::)

I often freeze bits and pieces.  Even if harvests aren't great, it surprising how a few strawberries/raspberries can add up until there's enough for something.   :)

grinling

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 19:28 »
I make apple wine using a bucket over a week. It is now in demijohns and will be racked in about 4 weeks for at least a further few months before final racking.
If cider I would just squish.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 21:29 »
I think that may be next on my list Grinling!  :tongue2:

Just finished juicing (a respectable 3 gallons), and will pick some more later in the week.  We seem to have a very good mix of eaters and cookers, which tastes delicious (sweet, with a hint of tartness), and is measuring in at 1045, so no need for any extra sugar.  :)

xx
what apples

Started by brahma on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 15:12
by David.
exclamation
Roadside Apples

Started by matty_s on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 19:39
by poultrygeist
xx
apples for cider

Started by Bozwell on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 12:53
by JohnB
xx
Cooking apples for cider?

Started by Chuffy on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 12:47
by JohnB

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.