Bodger

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« on: October 03, 2007, 14:14 »
INGREDIENTS

4 Medium Mackerel
2-3 Tablespoons of Sultannas
2 Cooking Apples
2 Teaspoons of Lemon Juice
Sea Salt and freshly ground Pepper to taste.

YOU DO

Remove the heads and bone the mackerel . Peel and grate the apples and then mix with the sultannas , season and then add the lemon juice to the mix.
Stuff the mixture into the mackerel.
Place in an oven proof dish and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes and then enjoy.

muntjac

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 14:18 »
m,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum .. just a point mate .... there are tonnes of cod about now .chesil reporting anglers getting 100 a session .taking home 10 good ones . im up fer it  :wink:
still alive /............

Bodger

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 14:40 »
I'd love it but its miles away from me.

We do get a run of cod in the Menai Straits but nothing like they get there.

I'll just have to make do with the bass fishing here :lol:

muntjac

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 14:41 »
yeh its ahrd werk but someone has to catch em matey :lol:

mushroom

Re: Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 17:50 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
INGREDIENTS

4 Medium Mackerel
2-3 Tablespoons of Sultannas
2 Cooking Apples
2 Teaspoons of Lemon Juice
Sea Salt and freshly ground Pepper to taste.

YOU DO

Remove the heads and bone the mackerel . Peel and grate the apples and then mix with the sultannas , season and then add the lemon juice to the mix.
Stuff the mixture into the mackerel.
Place in an oven proof dish and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes and then enjoy.

now that's one i wouldn't have thought of. the closest we get to it is having mango chitney with chili mackerel. I'll give it a go, though  8)

David.

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 15:50 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
there are tonnes of cod about now .chesil reporting anglers getting 100 a session .taking home 10 good ones

I was at West Bexington last week, evening tide, 20+ anglers, no fish, not even makerel (dirty water as far out as as you could see). I only want a few mackerel so I can try them soused in the fruit vinegars my wife has been making. At least I brought back 200 lbs of Dorset apples!

Going again (based at Weymouth) next week for 4 days, then 2 trips to Bristol Channel (but 1 is half term family hols), then it's harbourside Pub B&B through the winter.

muntjac

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 19:00 »
spoke to a mate on anglers net and he confirmed it so glad its not blarney being tossed about .....  :roll:

vegging out

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:45 »
spoke to a mate on anglers net and he confirmed it so glad its not blarney being tossed about .....  :roll:

Hi,I live on Portland and fish Chesil(I can see it out the window a I type) all the time,though not at the mo because I broke my leg last month,i'm gutted because it has been the best cod fishing for a good 15 years.My mates have been getting a dozen or so a session but I think the number of 100 a session is rather exaggerated unless their fishing for a very long period!

muntjac

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 12:14 »
the hundred a session was for 6 anglers apparantly and 17 was the top number by one angler on his own ,,,,,  hope ya leg heals  soon veggy as u cant chuck a lead from ya bed  :wink:

vegging out

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 12:26 »
the hundred a session was for 6 anglers apparantly and 17 was the top number by one angler on his own ,,,,,  hope ya leg heals  soon veggy as u cant chuck a lead from ya bed  :wink:

Ah that sounds more like it....Cheers for the sympathy Munty,tis frustrating knowing there's fish over there I can't get there,never mind,there may be a few left for me when i'm fixed,at least the whiting will be about by then. :)

muntjac

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 12:40 »
i can tell ya i love whiting more than most  the other fish for eating .my nan used to call it hospital fish as it was light enough for sick folks to digest . i used to catch a  hundred a night ,,,,TRUTH in the docks at grimsby when i was a kid .all sizes we took em home n left em in the stone sink in the outhouse n my mom n nan used to have em split and smoking by the time we had to get to school ,that used to feed us through winter and i used to get my share of the sales they made in the town ( louth )selling to the locals .afore i come home in the morning on them nights i would go by the pontoon in the fish docks and scour the decks of the trawlers for any crabs etc also i used to kick the great big lumps of ice that had been brushed together around the sorting tables and grab the fish the sorters dropped or threw to one side as it may have had a crushed tail or summat .all this used to go home .i remember one time in  august time we had the sand eel boats  ( snibbys siene trawlers  ) catching tonnes of these little fish  and i got a job on a saturday of helping to empty them we had  a huge pipe went down the hold and it sucked these out into a fish meal wagon . now the trick with this werk was to get the hatch open asap and jump in crawling among all these sand eels and grab as many of the large cod hadock dogfish or whatever was on the top .this was fresh so was a great bonus  to the gobbers ( me and my mates who got stinking doing this werk ) home this went with a £20 note for the days werk stinking to high hell  i can tell ya a bus ride was out the question to louth and the bike ride was a good 16 miles .but coming home with a bag of fish and a nice crisp £20 was sunshine in my moms eyes  , i wonder now how many tons of the eels we shifted as now they are protected as being scarce , the boats held by the way 100 tons of this fishmeal fodder ,,,,,,,,,

oooops off topic a mile there  :roll:

vegging out

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:57 »
That sounds very nostalgic Munty,great times.Seems like such a waste all them sand eels going for fish meal though don't you think..
 As for whiting,like you say,very light and tasty,always try and get some in the freezer for the winter months,but they were goergeous smoked.

muntjac

Mc Fruity Mackerel
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 13:07 »
was disgusting shame  al the rest the fish offal from the fish docks also went .looking back i can see how its affected the stocks today ,but that was 40ys or so ago and now we have learnt the lessons  be it all to late  :wink:

xx
Mc Fruity mackerel Recipe

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 10:13
by Bodger
xx
Mackerel Baps

Started by ex-cavator on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 10:04
by galen
xx
smoked mackerel pate

Started by rainie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 12:33
by arugula

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 28 queries.