Broody, a question

• 16 Replies

steampig

Broody, a question
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:19 »
We've recently got three bantams for the garden, they are young and have only been laying for three weeks. One of the hens has recently become what we think is broody, in that she does get up to eat and wanders about a little but goes back to nest most of the time. She is still laying though.

Is this a sign of broodiness or just winter activity ?

Can I stop her going broody ?

Any help would be appreciated
Eat all, drink all, pay nowt.
Hear all, see all, say nowt.
And if ever tha' does owt f' nowt
Make sure tha' does it f' thi 'sen

Vember

Broody, a question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:38 »
Hi Steampig

Normally a hen will stop laying when she goes broody, although I have one that carries on for about 3/4 days before she gets down to the  business of full time broody.

Are they this years young?  I've never had one go broody in it's first year :?
What type of hen are they?

If you want to stop her then really all you can do is keep lifting her off the nest or if possible block the nest off :?

Sarah :)

steampig

Broody, a question
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:47 »
Quote from: "Vember"
Hi Steampig

Normally a hen will stop laying when she goes broody, although I have one that carries on for about 3/4 days before she gets down to the  business of full time broody.

Are they this years young?  I've never had one go broody in it's first year :?
What type of hen are they?

If you want to stop her then really all you can do is keep lifting her off the nest or if possible block the nest off :?

Yes, this years young. This particular one is a Light Sussex. I'm not certain she is going broody but she use to be most outgoing of the three, now she seems more keen on staying on the nest, and she almost "growls "at me when I lift her off.

Bodger

Broody, a question
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:59 »
Most broodys do go broody during the summer months but I've had hens bring out chicks from the hedges on Christmas day, so there's no hard and fast rule.
She maybe thinking about going broody but as has been said, they don't continue to lay eggs.

Thats not quite correct though.  :shock:
  Its one of my now famous ' well known facts'  :D  That a broody will quite often throw in a late egg a few days after commencing to sit. For example, someone who has bought in a sitting of eggs from away, will sometime later find that they have one more egg than they actually put under the hen. This of course raises the spectre of a ' strug' chick.  :shock: You may well produce ten pure bred Black Leghorns and notice a Heinz 57 tagging along with them. :D

Vember

Broody, a question
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:09 »
My Light Sussex are forever going broody :?

If she's growling at you then it does sound like she's going broody:?

I'd keep popping her off the nest, hopefully she'll get bored  :lol:

mikebucks

Broody, a question
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:46 »
Hi all I see people asking about hens going broody and I too have a light sussex that goes broody a lot of the time . Certainly more than the others. I have several times been told of a solution to this which is to lower the temperature of the bird but don't recall seeing it on this site . Is this because it isn't accepted practice?
I bought two more birds last week and was again told to dunk the bird in cold water to remove the broodiness.

Bodger

Broody, a question
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:51 »
You might get some opposition to that method Mike. :oops:

Vember

Broody, a question
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:59 »
I have heard/read about it being done :?

There are a couple of posts on here that mention it,

Here we go

Broody

Hope thats some help

Porffor

Broody, a question
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 12:22 »
interesting stuff, will read the other thread too, my silkie mum has been broody for a few weeks now.

steampig

Broody, a question
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 12:34 »
Quote from: "Vember"
I have heard/read about it being done :?

There are a couple of posts on here that mention it,

Here we go

Broody

Hope thats some help

I'm sure I've read somewhere about this dunking method, I was hoping that would be a last resort.

Bodger

Broody, a question
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 13:19 »
I let my broodys sit for a few days and then remove the eggs and any possible nesting site, it tends to work with my hens, but I'm aware that there are some very persisitant sitters out there.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Broody, a question
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 22:07 »
I think I heard on here that on lifting the bird from the nest, you should let her flutter from your arms so she cools her undercarraige on the way down!  :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steampig

Broody, a question
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 15:55 »
Update....I think I've sorted out Miss Broody Breeches, she hasn't laid for 3 days now, but last night I got home from work to find her on the nest as expected, as I've read on here all you have to do is stop her getting to the nest, I employed lateral thinking and the nearest thing to hand was an old rugby ball the dogs play with. We house the birds in an eglu so, easy peasy I put the rugby ball in the nest bowl all night, took it out this morning and she's been out with the other birds scratching in the garden all day. I think I'll keep putting the ball in the nest at night for a few days yet tho'.

How long before she starts laying again ?

Vember

Broody, a question
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 16:30 »
The less time she's been broody the better, you could get eggies again in a week  :)
That will depend on the weather, amount of daylight  & hen though :)

Sarah :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Broody, a question
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 16:35 »
Quote from: "steampig"
Update....I think I've sorted out Miss Broody Breeches, she hasn't laid for 3 days now, but last night I got home from work to find her on the nest as expected, as I've read on here all you have to do is stop her getting to the nest, I employed lateral thinking and the nearest thing to hand was an old rugby ball the dogs play with. We house the birds in an eglu so, easy peasy I put the rugby ball in the nest bowl all night, took it out this morning and she's been out with the other birds scratching in the garden all day. I think I'll keep putting the ball in the nest at night for a few days yet tho'.

How long before she starts laying again ?

I bet when she went to go in the nestbox and saw the rugby ball she thought "b****r me I never laid that did I?" :lol:

xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d
xx
another broody hen question...sorry

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 15:53
by joyfull
xx
Broody Question!

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 12:53
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 39 queries.