Impacted Crop

• 2 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Impacted Crop
« on: April 25, 2009, 17:11 »
I know I am downright pesky on this forum and I must apologise.  But Tilly started to be uninterested in food this afternoon, was listless and finally went into the nest box to sulk.  My husband took her out and held her and I felt her crop - which was pretty much long and thick as a sausage, but like a rock.  I massaged it, and I could feel this lump moving around.  So I read in one of my books to give her a teaspoon of vegetable oil.  I took out mealy worms and poured the oil over them.  We couldn't get her to eat anything else.  Thankfully, she tucked right in to those.  She became alot perkier about an hour later and is now eating grass and running all over the garden.  She did a little poo that was solid but light in colour.  I feel like a new mother again.  Everything worries me!  Is there anything else I should do for her?  Did I do the right thing? 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Vember

Re: Impacted Crop
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 17:25 »
Her crop should feel quiet full in the afternoon LRH.
To check for an impacted crop you should feel it first thing in the morning before she has eaten anything :)

Sarah :D

karlooben

Re: Impacted Crop
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 19:11 »
i will be checking one of  mine in the morning for that , shes been quiet al day an her crop has looked big all day .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Is this impacted crop?

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 14:09
by Bubbles
xx
Impacted crop?

Started by old chook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 08:17
by joyfull
xx
impacted crop??

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 08:04
by Lynda_T

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 38 queries.