Seeds

• 9 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Seeds
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:51 »
Hi everyone

Me again, I know this will sound really thick, I have 50 free sample seeds from DT Brown - Parsnip Duchess F1.  The instructions say sow outdoors Jan to May, it says protect early sowings with cloches if soil cold and wet.  I am in sunny Manchester, its often cold and wet! should I leave it till May, as I dont have any cloches yet.  Or should I use the window sill to get them going?  But then reluctant to do that as 50 of them with take up a lot of room.  I have a greenhouse at the allotment, should I harden them off in there to begin with.  How often would they need watering?

Another wonder I have is I thorougly read packet instructions, when it comes to sowing, they never state how often to water all the seeds.

I also have some free carrot (St Valery), which are to be sown in March.

I know on here it says not to be too eager to sow too early.  But then I hear of lots of people prefer to start there seeds off to give a better chance.

Onion sets and shallots too - they are everywhere at the moment, not bought yet as the instructions are to plant in March, I notice people buy them and then store them till ready to go out.  should I do the same?  Or just get when i need at the time

Sometimes I feel I dont have a clue!!

Thanks
Amanda

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:56 »
Have a look at this thread, it may help:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=87454.0

Be very, very careful if you're thinking of transplanting parsnips, they don't like root disturbance and they also will not like the warmth of a house.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:39 »
Amanda you might be interested to know that seeds planted a little later into warmer, less sodden soil often catch up those sown into cold soil (many of which rot of course, or germinate very slowly)

It would be good to buy your onion sets now so you have plenty of choice, but do keep them all separated out somewhere bright and light to stop them shooting madly all bent. Some folk grow them on in individual pots and plant them out after the last frosts.

Me, I don't want to use the compost and won't have enough indoor growing space, especially when I think ahead to tomato and chilli, pepper plants and squahes etc  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:18 »
many thanks for this, so it will be acceptable to buy onion sets now and just leave them in the greenhouse.

I dont have anywhere except garage at home to store them, so not light there.  What about on top of kitchen units would that be okay>
cheers
Amanda

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:25 »
Leaving them in the greenhouse will be fine, as long as they are not all squashed up in the net bags.

Egg boxes are useful to stand them in (also useful for standing seed potatoes in before they are planted, while they chit - grow small short shoots - in the light)

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:29 »
Sorry to crash your thread, but i was wondering about the onion and shallot sets too.  I noticed a lot in the garden centre I visit have already started to sprout - so would storing these in the light also be ok or would you wait and find some that haven't started growing yet?

Christine

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:48 »
I never take sets that  have started to sprout. I want my to be ready to plant when I want to  plant them not have to rush out and do them urgently. We never do onion sets up here in the grim north till start of March  you see.  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 13:10 »
I'm with Christine, if they've started, you won't stop them. They've been stored in less than ideal conditions.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 14:41 »
Re the parsnip seeds, I never sow until late March or into April; no point in them sulking or rotting off in cold soil for several months.  They always catch up.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 17:01 »
I never take sets that  have started to sprout. I want my to be ready to plant when I want to  plant them not have to rush out and do them urgently. We never do onion sets up here in the grim north till start of March  you see.  :D

Thanks for that - i didn't think it looked good so left them.  Glad i did!

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Help with seeds please

Started by wellieboots on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 20:24
by wellieboots
xx
seeds

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 10:01
by Fisherman
xx
seeds

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 19:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.