rats

• 3 Replies

nicky

rats
« on: June 14, 2007, 20:23 »
Hello I'm new here my husband found this web site for me as i like growing my own veg and fruit.  Now i'm about to get some chickens. I have a worry about rats though. Is it true that the chickens will attract them and if so how is the best way to prevent it.

BIG ZOOK

RATS??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 20:47 »
rats, will only move into your plot on a -full time basis  :shock:  if there is shelter and an abundance of waste food :shock: . keep the food waste down,you`ll be fine :lol:  unless the rats ,use your hen house as a base ,4 raiding next doors waste :?: .rats are around,but the can be managed ok with traps/poisons.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
rats
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 21:04 »
Hi Nicky may I first say welcome to the forum  :D

I've found like Big Zook says keep food waste down and every where clean and tidy, you should be ok. However if your poultry house is to be permanently fixed in one position raise it off the ground to discourage them.

We live right next to a brook and find them a nuisance in the winter when food is scarce, but never see them in the summer. In fact most signs of rats are usually found around the compost heap than any where else. Yes I keep hens, my neighbour keeps dogs and they seem to get them more than us?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
rats
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:16 »
did you know in britian they say that there are 4 rats to every person and no matter where you are you will never be 20ft away from a rat.

food atracks the rats more than the chickens.
we once had some baby quails in a hutch which had a run what we didnt know was the rats had got underneath one night and swiped all 6 of them.

we used to have about 22 chickens and there was rats but the dog we had at the time was great at catching them.it amazed me at how big the rats were though.

oh welcome to the forum  :D

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
rats

Started by sylvia on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 18, 2009, 13:43
by scrappydoo
xx
i have rats in my run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 21:27
by Spadefighter
xx
Rats

Started by Chrissie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 19:21
by Raven81

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 28 queries.