How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

• 3 Replies

sushi

Hi,
Well the subject is in the title, found some cheap plants at my local GC but having never planted either cabbage or sprouts not sure how to tell which I have bought, there is no label on either of my 2 trays but they are slightly different in the leaf, both have reasonable stems and look sprout like, the one tray has slightly purple leaves which appear crinkly compared to the other. Space is my problem, well I have a gap to plant them but I want sprouts not cabbages, oh what a quandary.  :unsure:

Mark

Goosegirl

Sprouts tend to have a fatter and more rounded leaf - I think, anyway.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Were they reduced because they had lost their labels - just wondering how you know you have cabbage and spouts if they were unlabelled  :unsure:

Might be worth ringing them to see what veg they did have in stock as there is only usually a small selection this time of year.  For example, I have in at work red cabbage, but that is a very purple leaf, plus red kale - crinkly and very deep red, plus purple sprouting broccoli which is crinkly and purplish.

Sprouts usually only come in green varities as baby plants from garden centres and do have a rounded leaf as Goosegirl says, but rounded green leaves could also be cabbage  :)

sushi

Sorry for the late response, darn computor went wild  :wacko: Any way I have planted the lot, 6 as sprouts 5 as kale Not 100% sure but looking at pics on the net you guys gave me good descriptions. I won't be buying unlabelled stuff again for sure, far too much hassle. Just had an opportunity to plant some extra stuff so bought some cheap stuff to fill the bed.
Thanks again.
Mark :)

xx
Cabbage and Brussel Sprout Plants

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 18:53
by DD.
xx
My sprout plants...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 06:22
by Benandbill
xx
Sprout plants looking sad

Started by john9159 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 20:45
by Jay Dubya
xx
Brussel sprout plants

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 19:55
by gobs

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 39 queries.