Really Really Daft Question

• 6 Replies

Prod

Really Really Daft Question
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:58 »
As the post title says, this may be aq daft question  but here goes. I am very new to keeping chickens, I have an ancona, a bluebell, a cream legbar, columbian black tail & a buff sussex.  I also have a rather, though I say it myself, stunning looking young Welsummer cockerel of the sweetest nature.  He is tho, er..., performing his duties, shall we say on a regular basis.  If any one of the fertilised eggs hatch  what would they be? i.e as in the dog world  mongrel  or????   ??? ??? :unsure: :blush: :blush: (in advance)

YoungChickenLover

Re: Really Really Daft Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:55 »
The name for a mixed breed chicken is a hybrid. They are usually better egg layers then pure breeds, depending on thier heritage. Hope this helps!
Weasel and The Chooks

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 13:01 »

"A chicken by any other name is just as tasty"  8)   Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 13:04 »
Mongrel!  Actually they are called a cross breed.  Hybrids are bred specially for whatever purpose, meat or eggs.  It is a very scientific thing, not just crossing 2 chickens to see what happens.

So IF you decided to hatch any of the eggs, I don't understand all the jargon, but depending on the amount of gold or silver spectrum in the parents, and their parents, the chicks could come out as almost anything!

There are members on here who know much more about it than me, so hopefully one of them may be able to help more!

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 00:29 »
Biologically speaking them either hybrid or cross breed are perfectly acceptable terms though generally when people talk of hybrids they imply birds bred from different parent birds for a specific purpose - egg laying or meat production.

From a backyard keeper point of view cross breeds are not a problem - my accidents all lay well though I wouldn't choose to breed from them personally
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07 »
I think I have read before of a Welsummer x Light Sussex and the chicks are sex linked so you can tell boy and girl at hatch.  I wonder if it would be the same with Buff Sussex?    :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:28 »
I did warn you it was a daft question...... I understand the term crossbredding  as in 'labraddodle or chugs', to get a specific breed but used the term 'mongrel' to illustrate random breeding through various breeds of chicken ..... Anyway I dont have any intention of hatching the eggs so I guess its all academic :blush: :blush:

xx
daft question?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 11:37
by avilla
xx
May be a daft question, but..

Started by Beano on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 18:01
by joyfull
xx
Daft question

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 00:07
by Mr Chookles
xx
probably a daft red mite question

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 12:52
by kimT

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.