Pale-ing Comb - UPDATED WITH PICS

• 19 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Re: Pale-ing Comb - UPDATED WITH PICS
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 15:06 »
Your hens look very healthy and alert.  My hens combs and waddles turn bright red when they find something yummy like live worms, meal worms, etc.  That person is right when stated that they fluctuate through the day - depending on how interested they are in something.  If the comb shrinks and is pale, then I'd say your hen is going off the lay.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

viettaclark

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 23:16 »
I would agree....when mine had a break in the winter their combs changed and when they moult it's the same. All of them are laying everyday at the moment and I've never seen their combs so red! Hormones......
You know if they're ill.....and yours look happy and well.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 07:32 »
Thank you - they already feel like part of the fixtures - dont know what I would do if one of them popped her clogs!

My earlier comment absolutely WASNT meant to be sarky - I REALLY do need words of wisdom, as I dont know what I am doing, so pretty much all my knowledge is coming from here!

Milly (the one I was worried about) is still laying every day - she lays 1st, but it seems to be getting earlier and earlier - I dont get to let them out until 7.00am (desperately trying to work out how to get it done earlier but .....) and this morning she daashed out, scoffed some pellets and legged it back into the house - she was back in there by 7.15am! Think I might need to try and get them out earlier of a morning, but problem is that if I get up earlier, so do the small people in my life, and then by the tail end of the day they are grumpy and tired! Hmmmm one to ponder on!

Casey76

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 07:50 »
Don't worry about letting them out earlier.  7am is plenty early enough :)

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 08:01 »
Thanks Casey - I feel guilty I know they would rather be out MUCH earlier! In fairness, I get up at 6.30, and then is the only time I can get a shower in and dry my hair - I tried coming down to let them out before my shower, but then I made my husband late - its all military precision in this house in the morning!!!!

xx
very Pale comb

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 16:48
by CattinJ
xx
Hen with pale comb

Started by kingnothing on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 11:55
by kingnothing
xx
Very Pale Comb

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 08:52
by cochin
xx
Very pale comb and wattles

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 09:10
by Bonniebean

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 36 queries.