tips for growing up pergola posts?

• 5 Replies

puravida

• Experienced Member
« on: February 09, 2008, 18:27 »
I built a fine looking square pergola 18 months ago with a decking floor. It's about 3m square from memory and about 8 feet tall. The four vertical corner posts are approx 3" square.

I'm looking to grow plants to train up them, that will eventually run along the hotizontal roof beams and form a heavily scented, floral cover for the wooden frame.

I've got a couple of jasmine plants and a couple of honeysuckle that I planted next to the beams last year with varying success.

Is there a good method for training them to grow up the posts?? Also I wondered about training sweet peas too but unsure how to fashion a support that will work??

I'll try to post a photo tomorrow!
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

gobs

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 18:36 »
Most Jasmine does not much like rich soil, butthey both should be away once taken and settled in and not much pruning is required other than containing the things. They will climb by twining around things, not much to do with that.
Depending on your varieties, one might suffocate the other.

If they don't shoot of I can set you a few cuttings.

Mind the bees and wasps. :lol:

PS: decking can be very slippery when wet you want an evergreen going, too, maybe
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 19:09 »
I stapled a bit of clear garden netting around my posts so the vines can climb at their own will. If you want to cut down the plant to rejuvenate it. just rip off the netting and replace it as well.

Honeysuckles are easy enough to grow and aren't overly fussy, but some newer hybrids need cutting down every spring so check with the garden centre on what type you're getting.
Rambler roses are fabulous but give you only one bloom, whereas, climbing roses, depending on variety, could give you summer long bloom.
I'd avoid wisteria unless your pergola is built rock solid - the vines are extremely strong and can crush a weak structure and are also very heavy and some pergolas simply collapse. And very definitely keep it away from a house and roof - they do considerable damage there.
Sweetpeas will climb nicely if you add the netting idea, but enrich the soil well and keep picking the flowers to keep it flowering to the top. Morning glories, an annual, are self managing, especially the glorious variety Grandpa Ott.
Clematis are the usual standby, but again, check with your supplier whether or not it needs annual cutting down.  
You could always grow a hardy grape vine - fruit and shade.

puravida

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 19:23 »
WOW - thank you so much you two!!!!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 19:02 »
We have a similar thing  and have put a climbing rose at the base of each post. All we have done for them to climb up it is a screw in metal eyelet at the top, middle and bottom with some wire through each to make a straight line down middle of each side of the post - then just threading in the shoots as they grow. We got the idea from ryton organic gardens where their mature climbing plants looked stunning and well trained over - good enough for them its good enough for me!

CJ

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 16:29 »
I have a vine along the top of my pergola and large pink flowered Clematis (Josephine) growing up two of the posts.  The clematis is a repeat flowering one so lasts for several months.  

Also I have seen that you can grow gourds or climbing squashes/pumpkins up a pergola - think I saw that Sara Raven had done this with hers.

xx
Pinching out growing tips - Sweetpeas

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 22:53
by VegGirl7
xx
Please give me your sweet pea growing tips

Started by missmoneypenny on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 12, 2023, 15:27
by missmoneypenny
xx
New Pergola

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 21:27
by Hey Jude
xx
sweet pea pergola

Started by gardener247 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 18:12
by DavidT

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 28 queries.