Advice re poorly old hen please (lice and croup problem) worried :(

• 10 Replies

rosie14

We have an 'old girl' we've worked out is at least 7/8 years old. We can't be sure because she's been rehomed a few times before she came to us (long story). However from the batch of assorted breeds that were rehomed to my mum and dad's have all died now, the last one died last week oddly.

Our old black hen had her cone go flacid and pale pink early this year but hadn't laid in the 6 months or so before, we just put it down to old age. Her friend an ex-barn hen died suddenly this spring, she too was rehomed at least 3 times that we know of and had no idea of age but laid fairly consistently over the last winter which in Kent was pretty bad with heavy and prolonged snow. Within days of her passing we had located some local youngstock and chose an Orpie and Welsummer. When we brought them home that day our old hen literally perked up over night, she was perky and her cone was all of a sudden bright red again and leader in the pecking order stakes, and weirdly layed fairly consistently for a few months over spring!!??

However for a month or even two now (in hindsight) she's not looked as perky and certainly for the last few weeks her cone had dulled and flopped again. I'm very novice at chicken keeping and wont pretend other wise, although I've learnt more in this last week than ever thanks to this forum and googling! We assumed old age was getting the better of her but as she was eating and drinking and getting about ok just not running all over the place like the youngsters we'd let her ride out her time with us. They all got on no probs. too :)

I've got my broody Orpie who usually shared a nest box with the old hen and they have continued to do despite the Orpie sitting, no problem. However I picked her up yesterday and realised how emaciated the old girl was and that she had a dirty bottom (wet) she is partially bald around her croop on closer inspection too. I've seen her eat and drink seemingly without difficulty. I've googled and been on here and decided to check all for lice and only she has a problem but she is I am very ashamed to say infested :( I felt her croup it was very large in comparison to the other 2 birds and a definite soft malliable mass can be felt throughout and easily palpated around,not liquidy as some sited mention. I massaged around the vent and she passed a small but normal consistency poo. There were alot of variations on advice for mixtures re croup and what people had done but I went for a warmed brown bread, sweet biscuit, sprinkle of salt, milk and oil mash. She devoured it and soon passed a liquidy (like water) poo then carried on eating a little more. I gave her 1/2 an hour and massaged her croup which she appeared not to mind at all. I then tilted her downwards per advice read and massaged she shocked me with some almighty chicken burps, she went back to eating some more oiled mash and settled I have since gone out and massaged again and left her quietly. She has put herself to bed now. I'm really worried and feel terrible that I put her probs. simply down to old age like some rubbish Dr!

I am going to get some lice treatment tommorrow what do I buy that is the best? And some wormer. Flubivent - seems to be the best is that right? What else could I do to help her and do I need to get anything else. The tonic would be good but didn't have all the ingredients this afternoon hence a sprinkle of salt in mash rather than in a tonic.

Finally sorry this is so long but wanted to give you as much info. about her etc. as possible in order to give you all the details, because as I say I thought it was simply an aging problem until I picked her up and subsequently noticed more  :blush: thanks for reading.

rosie14

Hmmm just been looking at Auntsally's poop pics. and the bird in question after producing th small blacky colourd poo then produced the very watery one with small bits of poo desribed as 'watery' on the poop pics. chart by Auntsally and written below the pic. it says

'Watery droppings can be produced by hens which are too hot.  It can be a way for them to cool down by drinking a lot and losing some of their heat in frequent wet droppings.  It can also be a sign that the hens are not eating enough too.;

so is it watery from heat possibly it's been hot lately especially the last few days here in SE Kent but their run is shady and cool from midday say also it may be she's not eating enough, but in actual fact is but her croup is blocked/partially blocked but?? Any thoughts?

rosie14

On assesment of the old bird today she's actually looking a bit perkier and her cone has plumped up a little although still very pale, pale fact too. Her weight isn't as much of an issue as I'd first thought now but she sure isn't thriving. Her crop (kept calling it croup in other posts woops!) is as large and thickened, still palpable today with no improvement at all over night, I gave her some more oiled mix but what do I do, open it up next??

bantam novice

Hello Rosie14,

I am not that experienced; however from what I have read and seen hens can be very clever at hiding when they feel unwell until they are really sick.  You needn't feel guilty.  It sounds as if you are doing the right thing now as the crop seems to be the issue.  If you can feel a mass in her crop and her breath is not smelling sour It is quite likely to be impacted crop and the massage and olive oil is ideal.

It may take a little while for the impaction to clear.  You may want to type impacted crop into the search box in the top right-hand corner and you will find out more info.  If it does not clear I would not try opening her up myself but take her to a vet.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

rosie14

:) thanks so much for your reply so many have read and run lol! Confusing because it seems to be sour crop other than the lack of bad odour from the hens mouth. As she is still eating well and eliminating (albeit not normal) I can't help but think it's a partial blockage as her crop is not getting larger yet food is still going in. Shall I try giving her the natural yogurt too do you think? I've not done it because I read it can give them a sour crop  :ohmy:

bantam novice

My aunt had a hen with similar symptoms and there was no smell.  Every description of sour crop seems to highlight the bad smell.  That is why I felt impacted crop was more likely. 

I don't think it would do any harm to give some natural yoghurt and crushed garlic but not too much.  The olive oil seems to be working best for your hen from what you describe.

Has she regurgitated through her beak after a massage?

rosie14

Hi,  this afternoon I tried to gently 'milk' out any contents from her crop and she did indeed aspirate but it was only liquid. I do also think in retrospect that her crop whilst the same size todat didn't feel quite as lunmpy as it did yesterday. I will get on with the garlic and natural yogurt, am I supposed to mix it together? God can you imagive if it is sourcrop the smell that'll be eminating from her mouth!! :tongue2: thanks

Casey76

Rosie... please don't worry too much!  A hens crop will fill up slowly during the day as they eat, nd it should go down to to empty overnight as they digest what they have eaten.  The crop can look quite dramatically large depending on what they have eaten.

Unless the crop feels "soupy" don't massage it, and don't try to empty it the wrong way.  You are far more likely to drown your hen than to alleviate any potential crop problems I'm afraid.  Sour crop is quite distinctive, as the hens have a foul smelling breath with sour crop.

Impacted crop feels almost the opposite of sour crop, and instead of feeling soupy, you will feel a hard or fibrous mass.  Impactions normally occur if the hens have been given cut grass to eat, as it rolls up into a ball and cannot pass into the gizzard.

If your hen has been looking under the weather it will probably due to the lice.  And nearly all hens get lice at some point because they are carried by wild birds.  Treat with a spon-on and within 48 hours they should all be dead and gone.

Regarding the liquidy poo.  Yes, if the weather is warm - and it doesn't have to be excessively warm - the hens will pass more liquid faeces, as this is one method of cooling the body.

Don't giver her any more special food, especially salt; bread in particular is bad for hens, unless it has been thoroughly soaked in water first.  As with everything chicken, less is better.  Stick to layers, and if you feel they really need it, then add a tonic like Lifeguard to the water.

rosie14

Hi, thanks for reply been worrying for sure lol!

Her crop was full this morning as before, something definitely isn't right there, maybe it's that making her 'off' colour or something else, she has plucked the feathers from her crop area and it feels warm to the touch (like when you have a temp.). I gave her Zeno spot on from the vet today so hopefully she'll feel better with that.

Just want piece of mind I'm doing all I can, that is if there's something I can do! I let them out in the garden today and she was happy enough scratching about so that's good, they don't go out as often these days as we have a puppy (yet another rescue!) who's a bit over friendly, not sure if he'd harm them or just scare them to death  ::)

Could it be possible that she's broody like her nestbox mate rather than poorly?!?!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 23:36 by rosie14 »

bantam novice

Well broody hens certainly have a slightly raised temperature and pluck out their chest feathers to brood the eggs better.  Is she fluffing herself up and "growling" at you?  Is she spending all day in the nest box?

rosie14

Well broody hens certainly have a slightly raised temperature and pluck out their chest feathers to brood the eggs better.  Is she fluffing herself up and "growling" at you?  Is she spending all day in the nest box?

no afraid not :( maybe it is as I first thought; she's old and feeling it  :unsure:  she's been passed around and we are home no. 4 that we know of so lord knows what she's been through in her 7/8 years (if not older??!!)

It's just really her crop is def. larger than the others (maybe this is normal for her or a hen of her age?) I've failed to notice it before along with the missing feathers because they weren't rally handles, if they were free ranging in the garden they'd put themselves to be or get walked/herded in! I read this indicated a possible discomfort/problem there for her, she had a very dull crop, and looks kind of sorry for herself but scratches about and seems happy enough other wise, she spends a fair bit of time in her nesting box (hence my Q re broody), maybe she's in the 'care home' frame of mind and is kicking back enjoying her old age and just simply doen't feel like a young spritely hen anymore because well, she certainly isn't!!

Thanks so much for reading my rambles, broodyness hwat was I thinking of! lol!

xx
poorly hen very worried

Started by annewat on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 20:28
by sally10
xx
Poorly Hen.... very worried

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 09:28
by cathangirl
xx
A little worried! - egg problem

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 18:55
by chickenlady
xx
Fried lice advice!

Started by Chrysalis on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 18:04
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.