Hatching & humidity

• 5 Replies

Sluggs

Hatching & humidity
« on: February 09, 2011, 17:38 »
Hi guys,
Im on the last three days and 50 % humidity is all i can achieve, there plenty of surface area of water but the humidity will not rise anymore, is this still ok for hatching chicken eggs ?
many thanks

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: Hatching & humidity
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 00:44 »
Humidity—The moisture level in the incubator should be about 50 to 55 percent relative humidity, with an increase to about 65 percent for the last 3 days of incubation. Moisture is provided by a pan of water under the egg tray. The water surface should be at least half as large as the surface of the egg tray. Add warm water to the pan as necessary. If more humidity is needed, increase the size of the pan or add a wet sponge. Humidity adjustment can also be made by increasing or decreasing ventilation.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:59 »
Mr/ Ms Hathaway, is that a quote from a book?  If so, please provide the source :)

Sluggs, You can add sponges or, (as I do)  "wicks" of  kitchen paper to increase evaporation.  If you really have problems gettining it to 60%, you can "mist' the inside of the incubator with a fine mist plant spray (warm water) occasionally.

Have you tried changing your hygrometer, just incase the one you have isn't calibrated correctly?

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:16 »
I wouldnt agree with the above humidity levels actually  :mellow: but I would run at 40% till day 18 or the first pip and then shoot up to 60%

Much higher than 40% for the first 18 days and you will get lots of dead in shell due to the egg not losing enough water :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Sluggs

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58 »
We had the first hatch today, struggled to get above 50 % but all seems ok

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 16:50 »
Mr/ Ms Hathaway, is that a quote from a book?  If so, please provide the source :)

Sluggs, You can add sponges or, (as I do)  "wicks" of  kitchen paper to increase evaporation.  If you really have problems gettining it to 60%, you can "mist' the inside of the incubator with a fine mist plant spray (warm water) occasionally.

Have you tried changing your hygrometer, just incase the one you have isn't calibrated correctly?
sorry not from a book but word of mouth from friends that breed,and gleaning web pages.

xx
what humidity should I use for hatching duck eggs?

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 13:40
by lisacj
xx
humidity

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 20:38
by Bodger
xx
humidity

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 17:56
by bedifferent
xx
Incubation Humidity

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 20:01
by Thingy

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.