Celebrity chefs: Are they taking the p***

• 34 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« on: October 09, 2007, 13:58 »
Is it a fair question? After watching Jamie at Home last week( Jamie Oliver on C4), he seems to be just rehashing  what other cooks have done. Or, is it informative telly becausue he may be educating people who dont grow their own. I feel he's jumping on ANOTHER bandwagon. My partner won his last book and she gave it to me. It seems an almost exact copy of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's MEAT book except the diagrams in Olivers look like they've been drawn by his kids with crayons. I feel they are trying to fool us with each chef copying techniques from each other. Am I wrong?????

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 14:00 »
but didnt fanny craddock do that with mrs beeton and then the new " chef prodigy " will come along and do exactly that to jamie  :lol:  gimme a plate of tinned tomatoes n  some bacon thrown in an boiled anyday or a good old pan of shackles  justa like a momma used to make  :D  :wink:
still alive /............

Sally A

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 14:11 »
There are only so many ingredients, and a finite way of preparing them, so yes, every cook to an extent copies from previous cooks.

I salute them more in trying to re-educate the masses with good grub.

Jamie would appeal to people that would not watch H F-W and vice versa.

Unfortunately Jamie's getting older (aren't we all), so he would be considered a fogey by today's youngsters.

Doubtless there will be someone younger and trendier in the pipeline ready to rehash the food fad of the moment.

He's opening a new restaurant in Bath next year called Jamie's Italian where he plans to use local produce and free range stuff - if it helps the local producers then good for him I say, and that should have a knock on effect on what can be grown locally and seasonally.

Thank heavens we've gone though the nouvelle cuisine phase - if I'm paying for the meal I want to feel full afterwards - none of that carrot and 2 sprouts on an arty-farty plate for me thank you.

Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 14:12 »
And as Johnny Craddock said about Yorkshire puddings, "if you make them like this, they'll end up looking like Fanny's..."
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 18:01 »
Oh Scribbler, I feel a visit to the naughty step is on the cards when auntie sees that. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

brucesgirl

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 18:16 »
And I suppose that every year a new audience starts to watch, so to them it is all new.
I still use a really old Womans Realm cookbook for traditional meals, as all the later ones seem to be full of arty-farty cooking.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 20:09 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
And as Johnny Craddock said about Yorkshire puddings, "if you make them like this, they'll end up looking like Fanny's..."

LOL. Yeah guys your right. I suppose im just showing my age now cos I've seen it done and redone. Thats the problem with middle age, less surprises  :roll:

On a better note I'm staying in Looe for the weekend and I've promised the missuss and the kids a fish and chip takeaway from Rick Steins Fish and Chip shop in Padstow. Will report back on Tuesday if your curious. Or has anyone been there and got any advice. Thats the advantage of middle age- your not afraid to ask questions or learn a bit more.  :)

Happy gardening

noshed

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 23:05 »
Looe is a long way from Padstow (sounds like a cheesy song)
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 23:14 »

Aunty just fainted  :wink:

WG.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 23:16 »
Doughnuts actually but certainly one of TV's best ever lines.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   (Frank Bough : http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/features/2003/08/frank_bough.shtml)

Here is a rip-off _piCvg1y2Zo

Shows you the importance of punctuation though ...

Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 08:59 »
Time off in Looe

!!!

Sorry - couldn't resist

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 11:09 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

Aunty just fainted  :wink:

wondered why the floor was a mess :roll:

Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 11:23 »
I think the best of the lot is Nigel Slater. Comfort food, not too messed about. Consistently excellent. Recommend his 30 Minutes cookbook.

By the way, thanks to whoever it was who came up with the winter warmer recipe with sausages, baked beans, tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic and Worcester Sauce etc. This went down really well wiith the kids. The Mrs hasn't had a look in yet!

And finally, back to Nigella Lawson who I was moaning about the other day. Try this blog:

http://mindbodydoc.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/nigella-wobbles/

I'm afraid it is a little rude, so please don't send me to the step Aunty. Anyway, there probably isn't room at the moment.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 12:58 »

And finally, back to Nigella Lawson who I was moaning about the other day. Try this blog:

http://mindbodydoc.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/nigella-wobbles/

I'm afraid it is a little rude, so please don't send me to the step Aunty. Anyway, there probably isn't room at the moment.

don't start me off about her... the waste of space... not her own kitchen, actors on the buses.. and as if she would drink soup at the bus stop!!!! are they even her kids? god she is useless... we only watch it now to have a good belly laugh...

Bodger

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 14:15 »

Theres a rather rude old joke which asks "what's the difference between a cross country run and Fanny Craddock" :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

On a more serious note, you can have too much of a good thing. I personally think that some people don't know when to quit whilst they are ahead. They breeze onto the TV like a breath of fresh air but then overstay their welcome by going on for too long.

I enjoyed Gordon Ramsey at first until his effing and blinding simply became monotonous and predictable.
I wouldn't dare say this on a certain site but IMO HWF has tried to ' skin the same cat' so many times that he to is now well into the boring category. The more desperate the celeb chef get to stay in the limelight the more desperate the programmes become.
This ' Wildlife Gourmet' programme is a question in point. To my mind its all been done before by Ray Mears and HWF only much better.

At the end of the day of course , its all about trying to make money.

xx
Tonight's Celebrity Masterchef

Started by Cazzy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 17:45
by nuttytart
xx
tv chefs what a bunch of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejits

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

84 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 03:31
by Jellycakesforme
xx
Pak choi is taking over,Help!

Started by Charlotte on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 22:01
by Charlotte
xx
wheaty loaf, one for taking with you to the lottie with a flask

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 15:00
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 40 queries.