The Dream!!

• 11 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
The Dream!!
« on: August 22, 2019, 12:50 »
A recent conversation with the Other Half (Sammy) got me thinking. What is the point? Why do we go to work? I spend more time with my work colleagues than I do with the one I love. How do I change this?

This is where I have come up with "THE DREAM".

My dream.

To live in a house that I don't pay rent on. (we're currently renting a 1 bed flat).
To have space to grow our own veg and possibly sell some.
To spend more time with Sammy and the dogs.

The next question I had to ask myself, how can this be achieved. And I actually asked Sammy this question.

Her answer - Money. She's right, (she's very rarely wrong), but is this the only way? We currently have £0 savings. Our wages combined, cover our outgoings (just) with little to spare on luxuries.

There has got to be another way. This cant be it. Is there a secret I don't know?
Ches

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: The Dream!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 20:11 »
if there is a secret please let me know.
I know what you mean you work hard and just get by but you see others that seem to have everything and don't do too much.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 20:37 »
if there is a secret please let me know.
I know what you mean you work hard and just get by but you see others that seem to have everything and don't do too much.

My point exactly! If I uncover a secret. I’ll let you know.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 22:28 »
The secret is to be happy & content in everything you do. Look into mindfulness it might change your view of things😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43 »
I guess I have part of the dream, but you are right, it is not easy.

I spent a lot of years working to pay a mortgage, but now that is done  :)  It's a small house, but that's fine by me.
I have a garden, but rent an allotment.
I have 2 jobs that are about full-time between them, but are local, so my days of commuting a long way are thankfully done. 1 of these is our own business (me and OH).

OK maybe you could start a business with Sammy, even if it was low key and in your spare time for now.  You can have a business vehicle, phones etc.  You still have to pay for them, but they come off your profit, so you don't pay tax on that money.  A good accountant costs a few hundred pounds a year, but saves you thousands and has advice on all this sort of stuff  ;)   

Selling veg is really tough to make money from, but selling food made from your produce could be way more profitable.  What about a farmers market stall selling stuff, even if you had to buy produce at first to make your wares.

What about making and selling stuff on line.  Are you crafty or have skills others might pay to learn?  Services you could provide? 

Renting might suit you for now.  It does mean you could up sticks and move elsewhere in the country if you got an opportunity.

Get your brain going and think of an angle.  Even if you don't make your fortune, you will have taken a step towards not being just a wage slave  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:49 »
Very good words from New shoot.   It is hard and unless you opt out of society altogether it is a bit of a daily grind.    I could ramble on about how hard it was for us oldster when we were young and trying to make a start, but you will have heard it all before and hearing it d oesn't make it any easier for you today.So New shoot has some wise advice there.    But most of all, try to find a contentment within yourself and try to be happy with "your lot" and enhance it wherever you can.  Good luck,    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 12:40 »
Thank you both.

I'm trying to find contentment but really struggling lately. Sammy's job is coming to an end so she will be out of work in three weeks. I'm not enjoying my job. I'm looking for another position elsewhere at the moment but not having much luck.

We'll get there....eventually.

snow white

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 08:33 »
Some jobs pay more than others.  I was a cleaner for a number of years and was charging £10/hour then.  Its hard work but doable.  If you will shortly be out of work, set up as a cleaner, no outlay the only expense is travelling to appointments.  Once you have a good clientele then perhaps hubby can join in to expand your business. I did it whilst the children were at school as being self employed I set my own hours and warning employers that I can not work in the school holidays.  (Now they are older I now work in an office - my preferred option).  If that is not an option then its a case of either going around to see if there are any "job vacancy" signs up locally or scouring the jobs pages and the internet and then applying to loads of jobs.

Good luck with your search.

We paid our mortgage off a few years ago now so live rent free.   I am only now starting to save money regularly.  I have a small garden so rent an allotment.  Me and my husband try to spend Sundays together but that is not always possible with his hobbies. 

Just cherish what you have at this moment.  Count your blessings sort of thing. 

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 22:38 »
Does Sammy like children ? Could she become a childminder?

al78

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 14:19 »
You earn enough money to be able to put some away into investments that will grow., then once you have paid off the mortgage and the kids have grown up and left home, you sell your house releasing significant equity and downsize, or, if you are really ambitious, buy a plot of land and hire some people to design and build a house to your exact specifications.

Oh hang on, I think that is more commonly referred too as retirement.  :lol:

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 15:38 »
Does Sammy like children ? Could she become a childminder?

She does. Her current role is children services with the council as a clerical assistant.

She’s a qualified dog groomer and does that on the weekends

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 15:40 »
You earn enough money to be able to put some away into investments that will grow., then once you have paid off the mortgage and the kids have grown up and left home, you sell your house releasing significant equity and downsize, or, if you are really ambitious, buy a plot of land and hire some people to design and build a house to your exact specifications.

Oh hang on, I think that is more commonly referred too as retirement.  :lol:

Retirement at 28 I like the sound of that!

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 52 queries.