which weed killer?

• 4 Replies

hebridean

which weed killer?
« on: December 14, 2010, 20:34 »
I want to grow so fruit, berries, currents etc.But area any spare space I have is full of weed, rushes/iris's etc. Need advice on clearing the ground. Do I blast it with weed killer and cultivate it? and cover? if so what weed killer?
Kenny

solway cropper

Re: which weed killer?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 20:49 »
Not much point applying weed killer when the weeds are dormant. I'd be inclined to dig out what I can then cover the area with cardboard with a mulch of compost/manure on top. This should suppress weed growth and be rotted down by next spring. After that I'd be inclined to use glyphosate on the weeds that are starting to grow.

Soft fruit need a good fertile soil with plenty of organic matter so the above will help. You should be able to plant bare-root bushes until late March and pot-grown ones much later than that.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35 »
Clearing manually might be quicker especially at this time of year. Iris are easy to dig up, weeds - they just take a bit of determination and good eye-sight. I'm not so sure about the "rushes". If they are clump forming then it shouldn't be too difficult to shift them.

I prefer not to use any weed-killer on ground that is to be used for food despite manufacturer's assurance that they are completely harmless.

But... I do have one small area that returns to grass and weeds the minute I turn my back!! I'll clear it again by hand and bring it into full use with the intention of keeping it clear so the problem doesn't reoccur.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 17:04 »
If you have rushes and irises it suggests dampness of the area and you might want to investigate the drainage. Therefore digging over will remove the weeds and help with looking at any drainage problems.

hebridean

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 21:11 »
Thanks for the advice ppl. Think I will cultivate it and clear it. The ground is a bit boggy so drainage is on the list. If this snow ever leaves us!

xx
which weed killer

Started by purron on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 09:10
by owein
xx
weed killer

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 09:49
by richyrich7
sad
Help with weed killer

Started by What Allot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 07:24
by Faz
xx
weed killer

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 17:49
by Jonajo

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.