problem with friends potatoes

• 22 Replies

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
Re: problem with friends potatoes
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 19:08 »
growing in old compost soli bags that you buy compost in would be better to grow spuds in...and reuse recycle
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

Yabba

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 19:30 »
Get some bigger pots, slap some spuds in them and then, in a couple of weeks when they're showing leaf, take your friends home with "no worries, I'll sort them out" ;)

It's what I've done with my dads toms that are almost as tall as me and still in 3" pots ;)

¥

johnhar

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 20:57 »
The last time i saw tater tops deformed like these ,was when someone had used a watering can to water them that had also been used to for lawn weedkiller, and not been washed out properly :(john
john

peterjf

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 22:53 »
your friend cannot be serious about growing spuds in those pots,

1 seed potato needs at least 2 square foot of space to develope , has your friend ever read , gone on line about growing things , lets be realistic about this ,

i wasnt trying to insult this guy/lady , i was trying tp point out that any plant needs room to grow, im sorry if they took it the wrong way , ive always been known for my direct approach in life , unfortunately , this time , it was thought i was have a go at them , again , im sorry if i upset anyone ,

SG6

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 08:15 »
Just checked my pots and they are 48cm ones, I have 3 potatoes per pot although some maythink 2 would be better.

Peter is right, the plants are in completely the wrong pots and just looking at spuds in a supermarket would indicate the pot size really needed. Your friend has had a bit of a mental block. So if you intend to help them then somehow the expected plant size compared to the pot has to be pointed out. You will know best how to mention it.

I think that you are going to have to conveniently have a spare suitably sized pot and half a bag of compost handy. Then basically "take" over a bit and say those spuds look like they need something bigger now they have got going, how about we use this one. Once in the larger pot you can later "find" out that potatoes can be started out in the big pot so next time just stick a couple in it to start with and not bother with the small pot.

If they are on the internet do not point them at this forum for a while, if at all. They may not like reading about themselves. :ohmy: :ohmy:

I would also mention the possibility of aminopyralid in the manure. That could be part of the reason to get them into a bigger pot and new compost.

Is the option of start again with a bigger pot and 2-3 new seeds potatoes an option? You may have to supply pot, compost and seed potatoes of course :D :D :D

philskin

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 08:49 »
your friend cannot be serious about growing spuds in those pots,

1 seed potato needs at least 2 square foot of space to develope , has your friend ever read , gone on line about growing things , lets be realistic about this ,

i wasnt trying to insult this guy/lady , i was trying tp point out that any plant needs room to grow, im sorry if they took it the wrong way , ive always been known for my direct approach in life , unfortunately , this time , it was thought i was have a go at them , again , im sorry if i upset anyone ,

no probs didnt take it like that ,but your advice was taken onboard thanks
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

philskin

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 08:52 »
I have found 4 suitable containers and have carefully re potted some of mine into them ,so will go up later today and take hers away ,will give her them back in a week  :D :blink:

philskin

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 09:52 »
this is a picture of mine taken last week grown in the same stuff

so i think the manure is ok and she assures me that theres been no weedkiller in the vicinity

clip
problem potatoes

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 20:17
by bravemurphy
xx
problem with potatoes

Started by janmacca on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 01:09
by Paul Plots
xx
potatoes problem yet again!!

Started by davel831 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 16:31
by sunshineband
xx
i have a problem, looks like my potatoes have blight

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 22:01
by shaun

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 38 queries.