Weeds coming back

• 23 Replies

woodburner

Re: Weeds coming back
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:37 »
If the soil has been really well cultivated for years
I wish! It was a sea of nettles edged with couch grass, and interspersed with bindweed and the occasional spindly brambel.  :ohmy:

I've thought of a number of possible reasons for the lack of weed seedlings.
1) The (very small) site is surrounded by trees, backed on three sides by mown grass and fields, so perhaps there isn't much weed seed to start with.
2) The soil is either very poor or very thin, as there is only about an inch at most of dark soil over what looks like subsoil but isn't as sticky as real clay. I'm not sure whether that would  really cause the lack of germination though, could it?
3) One of the previous tenents used the wrong sort of weedkiller, that had a germination inhibitor. Any suggestions what seed to use to test for this?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

horsepooisgood

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 12:12 »
I'm yet to see a farmer out in the fields every 5 minutes weeding/hoeing, i think it is easy to get obsessed with weeds.

You will never get rid of them all so don't worry too much.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 13:01 »
Ive had  HUGE digging and weeding session today, and will now hoe away every time one dares to pop up  :D

Makes a change peapod.

Well outmowed - For a new member with only 3 posts to your name rudeness like that can get you deleted !

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 13:10 »
He has no idea what I do on my plot Aunty as I dont tell him.  Hes just trying to get a rise out of me as he does to everyone.  Poor lad finds it amusing to try to annoy others by childish comments and isnt worth the time or energy :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 13:12 »
He may not be here long then Peapod  ::)

Stripey_cat

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 14:07 »
I'm yet to see a farmer out in the fields every 5 minutes weeding/hoeing, i think it is easy to get obsessed with weeds.

That's because most of them spray herbicides around.  Do that for long enough and there are precious few weeds to spread seeds.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 20:41 »
Don't forget that when you dig, you expose new parts of the soil to the light - and thus also weed seeds which have a nasty habit of growing  :D 

There's not necessarily anything wrong with the weeding technique, just nature doing what it does best ...

I've dug a small square today of previously unexcavated soil with lots of stuff in it and I fully expect it to look like a green thing in a couple of weeks, but at least I've started breaking the soil up for future use.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 10:17 »
Another thing to mention - just to make you feel better - I like to think of weeds as next year's compost.  :) Just like green manure. As long as you pull them out before they flower, annual weeds make great compost. Fat hen can be eaten - it used to be part of the staple diet many years ago - very nutritious apparently. Even those perennial nasties can be composted. I put mine in a thick plastic sack and when full, stash it in a corner and forget all about it for a couple of years. Then when you're tidying up your plot one day you will come across an unexpected sack of.... lovely compost - magic  :D
Rachael

Stripey_cat

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 15:49 »
I twist off the tops of the perennials, and leave the roots scattered around on the concrete paths to dry.  The tops go in the compost, and the dried roots usually get burned when I'm in a pyromaniac mood and the ash goes in the compost or on beds.

xx
its nice to see all my little friends coming back......

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 12:13
by JayG
xx
perpetual annuals - this thought keeps coming back to haunt me

Started by Eumaeus on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 15:34
by chimaera
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 38 queries.