Coffee grounds!!

• 2 Replies

Skater

Coffee grounds!!
« on: March 30, 2020, 10:54 »
I'm a newbie, so if this has been covered before I apologise.
I've often wondered whether there was a suitable use for coffee grounds. I recently searched Google and came across someone who was saying they were good for keeping rats away!
Has anyone used them before, and for what purpose?

polo71

Re: Coffee grounds!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 11:29 »
Yes I add them to my compost heap they are rich in nitrogen but the also contain caffeine so be careful if using as a mulch direct onto the soil.

From Google

Using Coffee Grounds as Fertiliser
"Many of us will have dumped the cold remains of a forgotten coffee in a plant pot at some point, and then perhaps wondered if it was the wrong thing to do! But it turns out that coffee grounds contain a good amount of the essential nutrient nitrogen as well as some potassium and phosphorus, plus other micronutrients. The quantity and proportions of these nutrients varies, but coffee grounds can be used as a slow-release fertiliser.

To use coffee grounds as a fertiliser sprinkle them thinly onto your soil, or add them to your compost heap. Despite their colour, for the purposes of composting they’re a ‘green’, or nitrogen-rich organic material. Make sure to balance them with enough ‘browns’ – carbon-rich materials such as dried leaves, woody prunings or newspaper. Your compost heap’s tiny munchers and gnawers will process and mix them effectively, so using coffee grounds in this way is widely accepted to be safe and beneficial.

Many vermicomposters say that their worms love coffee grounds, so small quantities could also regularly be added to a worm bin if you have one. Paper coffee filters can go in too."

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:30 by polo71 »

ches

• Experienced Member
Re: Coffee grounds!!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 17:17 »
Agreed, I add them to my compost
Ches

xx
Coffee Grounds

Started by braders1234 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 23:37
by cooperman
xx
Coffee grounds

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 15:32
by madcat
xx
Used coffee grounds

Started by Plumby on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2017, 19:36
by juvenal
xx
Coffee Grounds.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2023, 14:31
by Omega

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 41 queries.