Coffee grounds

• 2 Replies

Dai

• Experienced Member
Coffee grounds
« on: August 03, 2015, 21:29 »
We have a coffee machine in work and I've decided to start saving the grounds for the lotty. Yesterday I got a bin bag and started to take the tray out and noticed that at the bottom of the pile the grounds had gone green with mold.
I threw them out and cleaned out the tray but I'm wondering if the mould forms again whether it's still ok to collect them for mulching or compost?

cadalot

Re: Coffee grounds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:49 »
They do mould up a little if left in bags, I lay some of mine out on metal trays in the greenhouse and dry them out and then put in airtight buckets that the local pizza place throws away. Some of the others go in damp into airtight containers and develop mould but, I don't see a problem adding the mouldy ground to the compost heap, because the compost pile is all about decay and inspects having a good time.

I sprinkle the dry stuff around the plants as fertiliser.

ptarmigan

Re: Coffee grounds
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 14:11 »
A friend drops round coffee grounds he collects over about a month, it's always a bit mouldy, but I just chuck it in the compost bin anyway, doesn't seem to do any harm.  There's so much bacteria and stuff going on in there I figure that'll even out any mould spores.

I do make sure I don't breathe them in though as I empty the containers of coffee, just in case!

xx
Coffee grounds!!

Started by Skater on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 17:17
by ches
xx
Coffee Grounds

Started by braders1234 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 23:37
by cooperman
xx
Used coffee grounds

Started by Plumby on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2017, 19:36
by juvenal
xx
Coffee grounds

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 15:32
by madcat

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 39 queries.