parsnips problem

• 5 Replies

alan/gill

parsnips problem
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:18 »
i have put lots of parsnip seeds in various parts of my allotment and have used different types of seeds but very few have come through,i did start some off in seed trays and they seem to be doing ok,cant understand why im having a bad season with my favorite veg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: parsnips problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:24 »
When did you sow them?

They are notoriously reluctant germinators in cold conditions, and I've never had them germinate outdoors in less than 3-4 weeks even when the soil has warmed up a little.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04 »
Was it fresh seed?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 17:18 »
all my parsnips are taking ages to germinate and come through, the weeds seem to grow quicker than the parsnip. i'm sure this doesn't help them, especially if i get carried away removing the weeds and take the small seedlings too. DOH.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 22:39 »
I usually have no probs with parsnips. Bung the seed in the bed and although they take ages they get there eventually and the crop is good.
This year I sowed in March then we had that cold spell so I gave them another 7/8 weeks and sowed again (different seed) when there was no show.
I finally gave up again at the week-end and planted out my Tuscan kale. Whilst digging I came across several parsnip seed and they looked just the same. So either they're dead or they'll come up in the kale bed and it's much too late for them now.......
You win some you lose some.......and some are amazing like my soft fruit!

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 22:55 »
i have put lots of parsnip seeds in various parts of my allotment and have used different types of seeds but very few have come through,i did start some off in seed trays and they seem to be doing ok,cant understand why im having a bad season with my favorite veg

They don't take kindly to being transplanted so you might have a problem with the ones in seed trays. And if they're still in seed trays there's no way you'll get anything from them now. The top growth on my parsnips is getting on for 18 inches high so I'm hopeful of a decent crop.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe
xx
Parsnips.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 11:07
by Goosegirl
xx
parsnips

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 08:21
by jambop

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 34 queries.