Perpetual Strawberries...

• 11 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Perpetual Strawberries...
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:17 »
I have though extending the strawberry season by adding some perpetual (ever bearing) strawberries plants, a new one called 'Finesse' sounds interesting, what can I expect from the perpetual strawberries with regard to taste and yield? I hear they are not as tasty as the summer fruiting variety and the yield is less.

Also has anyone tried the white strawberries?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Perpetual Strawberries...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07 »
MickyB - I think I love you!  :wub:

Don't be alarmed - I have had my leg pulled by a few members who have been here more than a year for plugging the virtues of the "Albion" everbearer variety on more than one occasion, but I see you only joined in June this year so if you don't mention it to anyone we can keep it a secret.  ::) ;)

A couple of links about the variety:

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/blogs/graham_rice/archive/2009/08/02/strawberry-albion.aspx

https://www.sycamoretrading.co.uk/soft-fruit/strawberries/strawberry-albion/prod_311.html?ccUser=
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13 »
I had never heard of them before but now i have read the links i am convinced i need some  :wacko:

Well i am sure we can squeeze a few in somewhere  :lol:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24 »
I have a sneaky feeling I have some of thse in my 'inherited' strawberries - they have finished the first set of (very tasty) fruits and more flowers are appearing. There was me thinking that I could start taking the netting off....!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:22 by surbie100 »

heloise

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34 »
We have a few 'Mara des Bois' everbearers and they are utterly lovely - very fragrant flavour and they keep going. Would highly recommend.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 13:35 »
I have ordered 12 'Albion's' from Thompson & Morgan - thanks for the help.

The plants were advertised as 'runners' I take it I will receive small plants which have been taken off as runners? The other option was 'bare root' which put me off - should it have done?

Has nobody tried the white strawberries?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 13:37 by MickyB »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 14:04 »
Has nobody tried the white strawberries?

nope, to be honest the colour puts me off. I like my strawberries to look old skool... :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 14:59 »
I have ordered 12 'Albion's' from Thompson & Morgan - thanks for the help.

The plants were advertised as 'runners' I take it I will receive small plants which have been taken off as runners? The other option was 'bare root' which put me off - should it have done?

At a guess they will be rooted runners in modules - bare root plants would probably have been bigger plants which would have been much more expensive to package and post if still planted.

Obviously smaller plants have further to go to get to full size and production than larger ones, but I wouldn't worry about that. I see that delivery will be somewhere between October and March (steady now, T+M!) - just make sure you take any runners off next year to make sure they only spend their energy on producing fruit.

Edit: Just an afterthought - one of the links I posted earlier mentions avoiding planting Albion in a frost pocket.
This is probably just to make sure that early flowers do not get damaged by frost - the plants themselves are as winter hardy as any other strawberry variety.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 17:21 by JayG »

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 17:21 »
I have five Albion plants, planted in Autumn 2011. They were useless last year but I though this was a combination of a very wet year and young plants.

This year they are equally useless - very few hard, fairly bitter little fruit so far. The plants themselves are still tiny - they just don't seem to be thriving at all. I've had a word with them and they know if they don't improve, they're out.  :tongue2:

In contrast I've had a fabulous crop from my 'Forence' strawberries this year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 17:55 »
Sorry to hear that JohnB47 - you have been very unlucky. 

Picked these about 15 minutes ago - obligatory 50p piece in picture for scale, and yes, they are red all the way through!  :)

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 20:45 »
They look great - nothing like mine!

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 01:08 »
Hmmm tasty, hopefully mine will turn out to be just as good, I will report back next year.  ;)

The plot is not in a frost pocket so the early fruit should be OK.

xx
Perpetual Strawberries

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 12:31
by Stripey_cat
xx
How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 08:45
by dig4victory
xx
Perpetual Spinach

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 09:12
by Kristen
xx
'Perpetual' Spinach

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 22:25
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 40 queries.