giant Atlantic pumpkin

• 8 Replies

mollski

giant Atlantic pumpkin
« on: August 31, 2009, 22:43 »
hi to all next year i would like to grow these giant Atlantic pumpkins,has anybody on here grown them before please?if so are they hard to grow care feed etc also were can i buy the seeds please thank you for your time

Trillium

Re: giant Atlantic pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:25 »
Not exactly sure where to get the seeds but if you check some online seed companies you're bound to find someone who carries them.

To get them huge they'll need massive amounts of manure worked into the soil as they're heavy feeders. Once the plants have got a fruit growing, you'll need to tip prune the vine so no other flowers get pollinated. The vine must support only one fruit. Water every day and side feed.
If you don't want to grow 400 lb fruits, then simply give the plants loads of room and lots of muck and water.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 05:56 »
We are growing Atlantic Giants... well, two of them! My son is entering one into the local pumpkin competition next weekend.
We got the seeds from Thompson and Morgan, I think. Yes, plenty of muck and plenty of water. To be honest, though, I think this type is grown for its size rather than taste. They do seems to swell almost immediately after you water them - my 11 year old is fascinated! The best intro to gardening!

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:15 »
I bought a packet of these seeds yesterday from a local garden centre, the seed company is English Gardens.  £1.49 for 5 seeds - hope that helps. :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 20:33 »
I am growing these this year.  I have 2 fruits from 4 seeds planted.  The 2 plants that made it were transferred into my compost bin for growing on.  I put a slab in each corner to rest the fruit on to stop them from rotting when the fruit set.  They love manure and are HUGE!  I will definitely grow them like this again next year. 

My guesstimate on size would be 60cm diameter.  I have not lifted either yet but I am getting excited.  :)

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 20:38 »
im growing them this year i bought mine from a organic catalogue they dont ripen like normal pumpkins they stay and dark yellow almost orange colore  im growing 3 they are massive when grown right

mollski

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 21:14 »
many thanks ,what does side feed mean please?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 21:24 »
Side feed is an additional feeding of liquid fertilizer/manure close to the plant. could be manure tea, comfrey tea, compost tea, a blend of these things. Whatever you feel your 'secret formula' for making them huge would be. Professional competitors all swear by their secret formulas to really grow their pumpkins massive.

mollski

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 21:33 »
ok thanks for the reply i only started growing thses this year for my boy who is 2 but im well into growing them now love it

xx
Atlantic Giant pumpkin

Started by gremlin on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 23:16
by blackberryjam
xx
giant Atlantic pumpkin SEEDS WERE PLEASE?

Started by mollski on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 09, 2010, 18:48
by mollski
xx
Atlantic giant

Started by denbo73 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 22:58
by ziggywigs
xx
Three Devon lady pumkins in need of male Atlantic Giant!

Started by farmerdave on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 23:10
by dawninspain

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 35 queries.