• 38 Replies

tode

Re: Anchoring a shed on a windy site
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 22:47 »
That's a nice-looking tea-stand: you should do a lot of business  :D  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 23:19 »
A rather posh job.....love the delicate painting....  ;)

Who is the sign writer?

Are you planning on growing anything up the "wings" or will you use the side sections for storage?

Perhaps it would make a good place for tubs of things sown from seed ready to transplant later.... can't think of anything off hand but I'm sure someone will have some bright suggestions for the extension. Sheltered sitting?

Who is going to knit that awning?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 23:02 »
Hi Learner, Tode

We have had requests for tea already! I sign-wrote on the sides you don't see too well from the road, didn't want to encourage too much passing traffic (we're just off the ring road! ;)
The kids are already talking about having a daily menu up on a blackboard.  Something to do in between digging over the winter.

I thought the pallets would make a great frame for climbing stuff, outdoor cucumbers, sweet peas and the like.  There is space all round the outside of them so I'll dig a good trench and get planting come spring.   The insides make great storage.

Awning ... mmm still thinking about that one.

Wish the rest of the allotment was as finished as the shed.  I'm still digging bit by bit.  The rabbit proof fencing is coming along a treat too.   

Thanks again for all the advice, can't wait to get growing properly.
Penny  :D

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 01:34 »
It does look really good.... I might pinch the idea of a pallet fence for a bit of poshing-up around my little green shed. The idea of growing up / along the pallets sounds great. I plaster the outside of my shed with sweet-peas and butternut squash each year...all on canes and string.

If you have some bumper crops or need some swaps you could use the menu board for notices...  ;)

Just a thought...

Digging and preparing = tons of time now the growing season is on its way out.
You'll get there. Best of luck.  :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23 »

Just a thought...

Digging and preparing = tons of time now the growing season is on its way out.
You'll get there. Best of luck.  :)

You're right!  I'm off digging today, still got the fence to finish too to keep the little Thumpers off my next year's bumper crops!
Cheers, Penny

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 10:56 »
Here's wishing you good digging weather, Penny.

I'd love to be on the plot but have assessments to do for school so no chance...  :( Roll on half-term when I can get to the plot - hoping for a few days no-rain that week.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 12:00 »
You could just cover the floor inside the shed with patio slabs. Add a good bit of weight without compromising on storage space
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

sam on lewis

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 14:10 »
 :D Try going to a caravan equipment shop, you can get a belt and ground anchor for a caravan awning which might do the trick.
I live on the Isle of Lewis which is very windy, all our winds are named after girls here, funny though, they seem to use the same girls name all the time !! (GAIL). or is it  gale.

I have knocked a fence post in at each corner of my shed then screwed the shed to the posts, from the inside of the shed to the post. Seemed to work ok last year.

Cheers, Sam

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 19:51 »
Knocking it into shape, Penny?

I've only just finished my rotten assessment papers having slogged all day. I'd dearly have loved to be out in the sun slicing through weeds or seeing what's left to harvest.

I hope the day down on the plot went well for you?  ;)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 21:50 »
Managed to do loads of digging - probably too much in one go! 
Still so much to do though... but it was a fantastic day for it, lots of lovely sunshine.

That is a great idea about patio slabs inside the shed.  Might just do that too! 

Never heard of the belt/anchor Sam, but will investigate at the camping shop, I'm curious to find out what it looks like!

Here's to a dry half term so you can get digging, Learner!

Penny   :D

Mack

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 17:04 »
Got it!
Inspiration struck when I couldn't sleep the other night!  The shed is on  paving slab base.  It's aligned up one end, and at the other end the slabs are longer than the shed.  On the lined-up end I'm bolting on some pallets with a return on each so that gives "wings" (not literally I hope) to the shed and I can anchor the pallets with stakes and may add in a metpost arrangement after.  Should give it a bit of stability, some extra storage and it shouldn't cost anything.  Will post pictures when it's done. 
Off to do this tomorrow...! Penny  :D

Sounds the same has the one I've recently built, free standing on slabs, I used chunky 4inch thick 8ft scaffold boards for the room joist just to give it weight & the double glazed panels are quite heavy, not finished in the picture but it is now & its going nowhere.
New_Shed.JPG
Mack.

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 18:58 »
Got it!
Inspiration struck when I couldn't sleep the other night!...............  Should give it a bit of stability, some extra storage and it shouldn't cost anything.  Will post pictures when it's done. 
Off to do this tomorrow...! Penny  :D

Sounds the same has the one I've recently built............not finished in the picture but it is now & its going nowhere.

That looks a decent job Mack. How long did it take you from scratch?

Mack

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 19:24 »
Little project that has been ongoing since last year to be truthful, knocking up the odd panel from pallets if & when, collected slabs along the way & it just evolved, got lucky with the windows, not a bad fit, I pulled all the stops out a few weeks ago when I was in the UK in between jobs to get the shell up & sealed, its only a potting shed, not storage, our allotments have some very good “Site Safe” type steel sheds on them, look like sheds but are in fact steel units.

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 19:27 »
Little project that has been ongoing since last year to be truthful, knocking up the odd panel from pallets if & when, collected slabs along the way & it just evolved, got lucky with the windows, not a bad fit, I pulled all the stops out a few weeks ago when I was in the UK in between jobs to get the shell up & sealed, its only a potting shed, not storage, our allotments have some very good “Site Safe” type steel sheds on them, look like sheds but are in fact steel units.

There's a sensible idea - steel-lock-ups. Too heavy to blow away and more chance of resisting the local yobbos' attention!

Mack

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 19:47 »
This is them, only in green....... :tongue2:
Site Safe.jpg

xx
New greenhouse on a windy site. What base to use?

Started by lassie on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 05:07
by Trillium
clip
polytunnel anchoring it down

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 11:57
by jameswburke
xx
Anchoring a greenhouse

Started by Casey76 on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 00:33
by Trikidiki
xx
Anchoring a polytunnel down

Started by Miamivice on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post December 08, 2015, 19:08
by oceanic

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 34 queries.