companion planting

• 11 Replies

kenny199

companion planting
« on: January 27, 2011, 21:24 »
Does any one know what should not be planted near asparagus and what can be please?
To err is human, to arr is pirate

Trillium

Re: companion planting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 21:34 »
Here you go:

http://www.companionplanting.net/ListofCompanionPlants.html

But just because they get along, doesn't always mean they need/like the same soil conditions.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 21:37 »
I should think you can plant most things near asparagus as many of its pests/diseases are specific. Most people prepare a bed specifically for the asparagus then you don't have a problem about what to plant near it.

The eventual height of the ferns may cast some shade.

kenny199

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:29 »
Here you go:

http://www.companionplanting.net/ListofCompanionPlants.html

But just because they get along, doesn't always mean they need/like the same soil conditions.
Thank you

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:54 »
My companion planting book says asparagus should ideally be planted in its own beds with a heavy mulch of hay and be left undisturbed except when picking.  It does go on to say, "Asparagus enjoys the company of tomatoes and parsley."

Personally I haven't grown asparagus as it seems to need a lot of dedicated space for a very short harvest period, but if you've got the room I think the plants look lovely with their delicate, ferny foliage.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07 »
I've attached a picture of the hole left by removing one of my sunken mint pots for repotting. The pot is about 18" from the centre of the nearest asparagus crown and as you can see the asparagus roots have gone around and beyond it!

I'm not at all sure about "companion" planting for asparagus (I think they like to take up all the space for themselves!) although I do grow quick, shallow rooted crops like lettuce at about the same distance away as the mint pot.
STA70025.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:38 »
Hi,   I'm not a very experienced gardener but I read up on companion planting last year and found it was claimed that you should avoid planting onions, garlic or potatoes near asparagus.
Good luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

savbo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41 »
we're bunging a few pots of strawberries etc on the soil at the edges of our (2nd year) asparagus beds..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:45 »
Daren't plant anything close to my asparagus (about 8 yrs) bed - just get choked out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 15:54 »
With asparagus you need to think more as what can you plant in proximity to it that will work well, rather than among or right next to it.

In my own garden, I allowed enough space then laid a buried block retaining wall to keep asparagus roots out of the rest of the garden. If left to themselves, the roots would travel a metre or more in every direction and I simply haven't enough space for such freedom. So they're contained within their area. On the other side of the wall I can safely plant whatever I want without interfering with their roots.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36 »
I may be wrong but im sure i read the reason for not planting near asparagus beds is obviously because of disturbance but mainly because they can take on the taste of other fragrant crops (garlic, herbs etc). 

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 22:10 »
Last year I grew some lettuce (Lakeland) round the edges of my second year asparagus bed,had a good crop of lettuce and the asparagus seemed happy enough.
A small recompense for not being able to harvest some of those spears.

xx
Companion planting!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 09:01
by sunshineband
xx
companion planting

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 22:19
by Flump
xx
Companion Planting

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 16:07
by moose
xx
what companion planting??

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 17:01
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 40 queries.