raw courgettes eew?

• 20 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: raw courgettes eew?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 16:23 »
If you look at some of the suggested portion sizes for 5 a day veg ::) I sure don't know how you would manage to eat ten  :unsure:

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 21:39 »
I looked up what a portion size is. Apparently it is around the size of your closed fist. So - an apple is 1 portion, 2 or 3 plums make up 1 portion and a small bunch of grapes is 1 portion.

Basically I am having four portions of fruit for breakfast - e.g. 1 apple, 2 plums a banana and some grapes. Don't need anything else but may occasionally stretch to a slice of toast and a hot drink. I put all the fruit chopped up in a bowl and sometimes add a dollop of plain yoghurt.

Lunchtime - lots of veggie sticks, e.g. carrots, courgettes, peppers with a very small pot of humous or a piece of chicken. Again - didn't need any bread.

Dinner - tonight was haddock, baked potato (doesn't count as a veg!!!), baby sweetcorn, carrots and lots of french beans.

So that is ................. hang on while I count ............... yep - 10 portions of fruit and veg - no trouble! And no - I am not hungry either! Also Doc did say not to cut anything else out, but once you eat all that veg, you don't need anything else!

Poolfield2

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 23:12 »
My OH won't eat cabbage so I substitute grated courgette in coleslaw.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 14:34 »
I slice it with a veg peeler and toss it with baby broad beans, peas, mint and a lemon vinaigrette. Sometimes put feta in as well or griddled halloumi, looks so lovely and fresh. And it tastes incredible too!  :D
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

hamstergbert

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 16:32 »
thin slices of courgette, sliced toms when ready, spring onions and peeler-sliced radish, cubed feta, sweet peppers when ready, dowse in Italian dressing (Morrisons own brand - hey I never said it had to be hard work) and serve with homebaked bread and fresh salad leaves. 

Now that is a taste of summer for me.  Roll on....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 16:47 »
i've got quite a few ways to serve it:

use it sliced into ribbons with the potato peeler as a decorative garnish on salads; grate it with the big holes on your cheese grater andthrow it in your salad; chop it into batons and use it for dips; chop those batons into cubes for your salad.

they're very nice raw.

xx
Too many courgettes?

Started by HilaryG on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 13:06
by Beetroot queen
xx
New use for courgettes

Started by Goosegirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 18:01
by compostqueen
xx
Dont know what to do with all them courgettes?

Started by Dopey113 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 11:53
by compostqueen
xx
Freezing courgettes??

Started by Charlotte on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 22:10
by Charlotte

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 40 queries.