got my first nuce of bees at last!

• 12 Replies

wysiwyg

got my first nuce of bees at last!
« on: June 29, 2009, 19:34 »
 :D

Finally decided that I wasnt going to get my hands on a swarm this year through my husbands business, so after building preserving and weathering my new hive I finally took delivery of my first nuceulus of bees yesturday.   Wonderful to see them setting to work and bringing in all the differant coloured pollen.

My two dogs have taken their first casualties both were sporting bee sting on their ears yesturday, - for some strange reason they arent half as interested in them today :lol:

depending on the weather I may not get any honey this year (well maybe just a jar) as I dont want to leave them with low stocks for the winter.

Just have to resist the urge to have a peak in!  leave it for a week then check what is happening, but then they hopefully will have drawn a couple of frames and have the wonderfull queen busy laying away.
As this is my first hive I am lucky enough to have the help from the lady who ran the course I went on earlier this year. 
To anyone out there considering starting up, start looking for courses and saving up for hives 1 hive set up is about £150 plus bee suit, hive tools etc.  But well worth it IMO.  I have left it a bit late really to get running but was waiting for a free swarm! :blush: 

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: got my first nuce of bees at last!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 00:41 »
As you're our first fully fledged beekeeper it would be really helpful for you to keep this thread going on and on (with piccies of course  ;) ).

It would be appreciated if you could wsiwyg? No problems if you havent the time though
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:43 »
brilliant! so jealous! next door had a swarm around their boot room looking for a new home (or something....) there were hundreds, the corner of the room was black with them. Wish we had a hive, wouldn't have had a clue what to do, looking out for a good bee course though ;) :D

beesontoast

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 20:07 »
:D

To anyone out there considering starting up, start looking for courses and saving up for hives 1 hive set up is about £150 plus bee suit, hive tools etc.  But well worth it IMO.  I have left it a bit late really to get running but was waiting for a free swarm! :blush: 

If you are looking for a cheaper way to start beekeeping, there are free plans for a top bar hive that you can build yourself. If you are really poor/tight you can use old pallet wood! Add a home-made hat and veil, catch or bait a swarm and you are a beekeeper!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 22:23 by john »

wysiwyg

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 21:14 »

If you are looking for a cheaper way to start beekeeping, there are free plans  for a top bar hive that you can build yourself. If you are really poor/tight you can use old pallet wood! Add a home-made hat and veil, catch or bait a swarm and you are a beekeeper!

yep I have seen a top bar set up that the woman that held the course had built, It looks like a really good idea.  I will try and get some pics done and keep giving you some info as and when.  Hope to go into the hive for the first time tomorrow cant wait!  one of the great things is getting a smoker going and keeping it going.  always have liked a bit of a burn.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 22:23 by john »

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 11:01 »
Yes Top Bars are good but I do not like them because.
Basically there is no difference between Crop and brood.
I do not feel that is this country top bars can work as well as nationals or other standardised hives.  How are you going to feed your bees in winter in a top bar?  Stop mice getting in?   

In a standard National you can crop your honey with out disturbing the nucleus (Brood Box) of the hive.

With a Top Bar it has a solid floor. How in this day and age are you going to control varroa in a top bar hive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

.....Add a home-made hat and veil, catch or bait a swarm and you are a beekeeper!

I am sorry but there is a h*ll allot to learn about bees before you "catch or bait a swarm and you are a beekeeper!"
Join your local bee association. Found here
http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php
Other info
http://www.britishbee.org.uk/getting_started.php

Another very good website for people wanting more information about keeping bees.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gandboss/BeeginnersFAQ/index.htm

:D :D
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

beesontoast

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:01 »
Yes Top Bars are good but I do not like them because.
Basically there is no difference between Crop and brood.
I do not feel that is this country top bars can work as well as nationals or other standardised hives.  How are you going to feed your bees in winter in a top bar?  Stop mice getting in? 

Well, I have been keeping bees in top bar hives for nearly a decade. Have you tried them, or are your objections purely theoretical?

Feeding is not a problem; neither are mice.

In a standard National you can crop your honey with out disturbing the nucleus (Brood Box) of the hive.

With a Top Bar it has a solid floor. How in this day and age are you going to control varroa in a top bar hive?

There is much less disturbance to bees in a TBH, as anyone who uses them will tell you. Honey is harvested from the end furthest from the brood nest.

Varroa treatment is done - when necessary - with powdered sugar.

My TBHs have mesh floors. One of them has no floor at all

I am sorry but there is a h*ll allot to learn about bees before you "catch or bait a swarm and you are a beekeeper!"

Of course there is always a lot to learn - I learn something every time I visit my bees, and I study books constantly - but there is an unnecessary air of 'mystery' about beekeeping, and almost anyone can do it if they want to. It does not have to involve an outlay of hundreds of pounds on machine-made equipment, and while there are benefits in learning from experienced beekeepers, most of them have only handled one type of hive and simply do not understand how bees behave naturally when given a simple, log-like container, because they have never tried it themselves. It is too easy to get stuck in the standard, BBKA way of doing things and not look 'outside the box' - in a very literal sense - and miss what is going on outside the local association.

What I am saying is - beekeeping can be really simple - just provide the bees with suitable accommodation and observe them. If you learn to listen, they will tell you what they need. And it is not foundation, frames or chemicals!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 22:24 by john »

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 18:58 »
I was trying to make the point that for learners you need to learn.  Bees are the most complicated "thing" I have ever kept.  I am learning from my mentor and from the local bbka.   :D

I would not suggest that anyone should go out and get bees and just read books and "listen" to the bees.  You need to have that experienced hand to show you the ropes and once you are proficient then you can do your own thing.
Do not forget the BBKA membership will insure you and three hives.  Also adds you to the national registrar of bee keepers and then you can be visited by the bee inspector. :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 08:19 »
Beesontoast,

The site policies require members to respect other posters, and your post is perilously close to an insult.

Furthermore, we also ask members not to start controversial or hotly debated topics.  There are other places for that.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 13:00 »
I would like to keep bees myself and have friends who have done so for many years. Both advised me on portions regarding keeping bees in the Essential Allotment Guide and in Low Cost Living.

Strangely, their advice basically echoed Roughlee's post.

With animal husbandry books are really helpful and web sites have their place but you need some practical face to face experience and tutoring to get the basics right.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 18:19 »
Absolutely Cara.

Beesontoast is a bee keeping pureist who likes to keep his bees in as close a way to nature as possible which is probably the only way to do it in developing countries but in western countries "modern" bee keepers  have sought to improve upon natures ways to make it easier for them to keep the bees and harvest the crop (honey). 

No one here should be saying that one method is better than another just that they are different !

Care should always be taken when posting not to make other members feel thier views are being belittled !

NOW - how are your bees getting on wysiwyg ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 18:30 »
Does that mean that you won't respect anyone's opinions until they've justified their experience to you first?

Caralou

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 18:32 »
Beesontoast, you appear to fail to respect anyone's opinion and have an inability to refrain from making a matter contentious. I am pulling the irrelevant posts on this topic so that it may go back to its original purpose.

xx
Bees

Started by Jilly Pickles on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 23:13
by jimbeekeeper
xx
My Bees are in

Started by kevinp on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:33
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bees

Started by wilbzfishing on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 17:49
by sunshineband
xx
Bees

Started by Rubellite on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 18:30
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.