Gardman, Palram or BillyOh Greenhouse?

• 12 Replies

mclarkuk1

Gardman, Palram or BillyOh Greenhouse?
« on: January 16, 2011, 19:08 »
Hi,

Im looking at getting a greenhouse pretty soon.
Ive looked online and there are 3 that come up within my price range etc.

Ive heard of Gardman many times before and from what I know they seem a pretty reliable brand.

The two others that come up are Palram and BillyOh, are they any good?

Im looking at an 6X8' metal greenhouse within the £350 price mark. I would appreciate any feedback on the brands named and any alternate suggestions will be welcome.

Many thanks

Matt C

PennyS

• My website
Re: Gardman, Palram or BillyOh Greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 20:18 »
Hi,
No personal experience I'm afraid but I've also been researching them and these 3 all look good value for money.  However, I've decided I really need a narrow lean-to so that's reducing my options a bit! 
Good luck!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Goldfinger

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 20:28 »

We saw this in 'Costco'

Just wondering if you have, or know anyone with a membership card, is it worth a look??

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 21:03 »
We saw this in 'Costco'

Not realy look at g'house prices for a while but thats looks like a real good price. Large size, staging, glass and auto opener

mclarkuk1

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 19:45 »
Thankyou for your respnses.

I have done some research and came up with a solution.

It seems to me that single polycarbonate panels on greenhouses have a tendency to blow away ( pop out ) due to flex within the panel when there is a gale blowing.
However it also seems that twin wall polycarbonate has the same problem but is less likely to do so than single wall and can almost be prevented by using clear silicon sealant when installing the panels and by buying more clips for fastening the panels to the framework.

As I mentioned ive got a budget of approx. £350. And ive got some quotes for toughened glass to cover half of the greenhouse.

The solution :

Im planning on buying a Gardman Deluxe 8x6' greenhouse which comes with twin wall polycarbonate panels which are not clear unfortunately, meaning i cannot make the most of the view from the garden but, has an aluminium frame which is going to be as stable and long lasting as any others on the market, with the exception that its cheaper (£270).
I will then purchase some toughened glass for the face which will be exposed to the strong winds that come across the field (£50 - £70), meaning an approx spend of £320 - £340.

I end up with an aluminium frame  :D , twin wall polycarbonate panels on the sheltered side which is more than adequate  :D , and some lovely,strong clear glass for me to enjoy the views across the fields without them blowing away  :D .

Now is that an idea or what?  :happy:

Matt C

ex-cavator

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 20:03 »
Sounds like a plan, Matt. But not knowing about greenhouses myself, is toughened glass standard? If not you could probably save a bit more by opting for standard glass on the windward side - that'll go towards your heated propagators  ;)

Sounds like you'll be looking to enlist my help with the base pretty soon  :wub:

mclarkuk1

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 20:13 »
I knew it was a good idea!!!    :D

Its not the standard type of glass for greenhouses, usually they are supplied with horticultural glass which i believe to be pretty easy to break even with the lightest of knocks and with the dogs it isnt a good idea, toughened i think is best.

And believe it or not we have had random items blown in from the barn down the road, last week we had a plastic funnel  :unsure:

Shouldnt be too long i hope  :D

DirtyShovel

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 15:13 »
I bought my 8x6 Palram Greenline with polycarbonate glazing and base included for £335 from www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk back in October and I'm really pleased so far. They're now doing a Gardman 8x6 Greenhouse at £269 delivered that has twin wall polycarbonate as well.
I got my greenhouse delivered free next day by courier. I'm now in the market for a coldframe or two so i'll see what they've got before i bother with the garden centres ! :D

stevedownie

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 17:48 »
Hi there

I too have been spending time looking at 6 x 8 foot greenhouses (just in time for Spring hopefully).  I too would ideally like to spend around £350.

I think you need toughened glass on the gh as I live in a sheltered spot but it still gets windy (south wales) and there it always that one day when the weather is unaturally blustery.

I found a greenhouse called the Simplicity at the following website: http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/ranges/simplicity-classic/?width=6&length=8.  It is called the Simplicity classic and comes with a base and roof vent for £398 or, and this seems to be the best deal, with toughened glass and louvres/roof vents for £398.  The advantage with toughened glass is that it comes in single large panes rather than the half size ones for horticultural glass that tend to get green algae growing inbetween (my next door neighbour has this).   Additionally, for £22, you can get bar capping and avoid the need for clips between glass panes (although I am not sure whether this is needed).

There is also the consideration as to where the rain goes when it comes off the roof - they have gutters but no downpipes as standard and so you could end up with a muddy surround to the gh unless it is on a well drained sight.

I know the price is climbing, and I too am looking for cheaper options (despite the recession there are no bargains out there).  Anyone who has useful comments on cheaper and better solutions would be most welcome to comment.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 17:54 »
Ukgreenhousesales have some pretty good stuff in the sales at the moment, I've just bought a Palram from them and their service and delivery is really good  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 19:42 »
B&Q have a sale on now, with the 6 x 6 greenhouse silver frame model @£100 plus £79.98 for the polycarb glazing  :)
look here

The 6 x 8 model is £149.98 for the frame and £89.98 for the polycarb, still very reasonable  IMO :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 20:24 »
Just to chip in. I bought mine last year and it had slide-in polycarb panels, so hopefully less prone to panels popping out... :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 20:36 »
B&Q have a sale on now, with the 6 x 6 greenhouse silver frame model @£100 plus £79.98 for the polycarb glazing  :)
look here

The 6 x 8 model is £149.98 for the frame and £89.98 for the polycarb, still very reasonable  IMO :)
Those prices are very reasonable, I just compared them with a Waltons greenhouse online.  Shame they don't have an 8x12. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Palram rattling poly greenhouse...

Started by jmg1414 on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2020, 22:12
by geoffjean
xx
'Glazing' a polycarb Palram Silverline

Started by PurplePixie on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 20:35
by Yorkie
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Tykelad on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 22:39
by Paul Plots
xx
Greenhouse up

Started by AdsaM on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 16:41
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.