Veg patch advice required please

• 23 Replies

soaplady

« on: January 23, 2008, 10:01 »
Hello,

Last year we bought our house which came with a pre-dug veg patch. Quite large, but not sure of dimensions. The previous owners husband who used to be the gardener had passed away, but his wife had planted a wigwam of runner beans. When we moved in they were pretty much over I think, as a lot of them were black, so we dug them into the patch. Apparently nothing else has been grown on the patch for about three years, although it has been dug over every year. I would really like to know if we would need to add some kind of fertiliser before we grow anything, I have ordered lots of seeds and would like to grow potatoes, cauliflower, butternut squash, beans, and maybe something else.
We also have four rhubarb plants, all of which are starting to come up now. We really truly are novice gardners, and will be coming to everyone for lots of advice over the coming months I am sure.
I have a bag of seed potatoes, but have to 'chit' them, any special tips that I would need at all, would be gratefuly received.

Kind Regards

Soaplady

gobs

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11 »
The things you mention would well benefit from some well rotted manure applied, as soon as you can really, though it only will matter with your brassica, which you might want to lime for later on.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:20 »
Welcome back SL!

Like Gobs says, you need well rotted manure. Available from local riding stables or local farmer. If you say where you are in Berks I might be able to advise re possible source. I pick mine up, but our neighbours have theirs delivered.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

soaplady

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:44 »
Hi, horse poo won't be a problem, my sister in law looks after horses, so I can get as much as I need. Do I just dig it in, and then water it, and then cover it with plastic?

Soaplady

Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02 »
Others may differ, but I wouldn't bother with the plastic. Just dig it in. Rain will water it for you.

But it must be well rotted. If it still smells pooey it's probably a bit too young. Some of mine was six years old. It was just like cutting peat. Full of worms. Lovely.

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02 »
Quote from: "soaplady"
Hi, horse poo won't be a problem, my sister in law looks after horses, so I can get as much as I need. Do I just dig it in, and then water it, and then cover it with plastic?

Soaplady

You might still want to leave it to rot down before you shovel it on the beds.  Then it is just a case of roughly digging it in and letting the worms and the weather get at it which is one of the reasons this job usually done over autumn/winter.  No need for plastic. :D  Fine dig it in/rake it nearer the time you plant out.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:03 »
you beat me to it Scribbler! :lol:

Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 11:05 »
I'm closer to Berkshire!  :)

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:06 »
:lol:

It shows great minds think alike!

WG.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:33 »
Welcome back soaplady

Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:33 »
Very much so. I wasn't sure about the plastic, but got a feeling that this would be more suitable if you were tackling the job back in late spring maybe, and it was going to be left all winter? As it is, it will soon be spring, so nothing to be gained. Maybe need to keep an eye on the weeds in the meantime, and hoe accordingly.

Just been out to my garden. First signs of new growth all over the place. Brilliant!

noshed

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 12:25 »
Definately mulch the rhubarb if you can get any rotted manure or straw. Chit the spuds if they are earlies by spreading them out in a cool light place (porch etc). People say you don't need to chit main crop spuds.
Tomatoes are easy to grow and a million times better than what you get in the shops - grow a few plants yourself - bush ones are easiest - or by a few plants later in the year. Lettuce are also good and much tastier than in the shops - you need to protect them with cut off pop bottles or slug pellets until they get going a bit.
T&M and a few other seed cos do plants which don't look too bad - you could then use the time to get the soil organised.
A big tub of chicken manure pellets is cheap (!) depending on your views about battery farming or you could just fling some blood fish and bone about before you plant stuff if you can't get enough rotted manure. You're not supposed to manure where you put carrots because of forking.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

soaplady

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 12:57 »
Hi Again,

Thankyou for all your welcome backs, it's so nice to read everybodys advice, and queries, it really seems to be a great community on here. We have been trying to sort out garden. Still have apple and plum trees to prune, oh and pear too. Sure we will get is sorted out though.

Do have another question though,  the greenhouse is covered in bubble wrap, do I need to take it off, or will everthing grow ok if it is left on?

Also there is a big square metal open water butt in the greenhouse that the previous owner set up, the GH itself has guttering all around it, and so the rain constantly fills the butt up. Not sure if I should empty the butt though, as I don't think the GH has been used for a few years. The water doesn't smell, so do you think it would be ok to use. Would be great if so, as won't mean a long trek down the garden to the other butt.

Have ordered lots of seeds already, and am going to try to grow Reisetomate, Pocketbook Vine tomato, saw this on the website, and thought it looked fab. Has anybody on the forum grown these before.  

Probably trying to run before I can walk, but have also realised have got seeds for Melons, watermelons,  sorrel and coriander too. I love coriander, but have never managed to keep it in a pot before, so will try to grow some. Should I grow it in the greenhouse? Got a bit excited ordering seeds last year Oops!

We got all of our seeds from the real seed company, as they seemed a little different to the big companies. Really looking foward to trying to grow some green fingers!!!!

Soaplady

WG.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 13:02 »
Coriander I do know!  I would not recommend using pots at all since it is very deep rooting and hates a moisture-check.

I recently posted my growing technique so please follow the WYSIWYGGY link in my signature - choose the Herbs Index, then Coriander sub-thread.

WG.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 13:49 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
Just been out to my garden. First signs of new growth all over the place. Brilliant!
May I be allowed to preach some realism here ... I just want to common sense to prevail over rampant enthusiam!

Early growth can be expected from spring bulbs and established perennials with their roots deep down in the relative warmth.  This should not be taken as a cue for mass planting of everything in your seed box.

:?

clip
Advice required.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2022, 13:27
by mumofstig
sad
Disheartened - help and advice required please

Started by kev p on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 07:56
by Babycat
question
Onion advice required

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 14:27
by amiman
xx
100% failure. Advice required.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 20, 2011, 19:20
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 28 queries.