stored apples

• 3 Replies

jessym

stored apples
« on: November 09, 2008, 22:22 »
I'm storing some apples from our garden trees in a box, between layers of newspaper, in our garage but they are starting to get greasy skins! does anyone know if this means they are beginning to degrade and need to be eaten as soon as? They've been in storage for a month or so. Thanks!

mashauk

stored apples
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31 »
What sort of apple are they?  Not all store as I discovered last year, such as russets, only last a couple of weeks if that.

Trillium

stored apples
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 14:56 »
Mashuk is right, eating apples won't store well unless it's in controlled temperatures. If it's cooking apples, they'll shrivel a bit but still be useable however, you must keep checking them regularly. I personally can't spare the time so I peel, core, slice and freeze mine into freezer bags and when needed it's very quick and simple to thaw them.

Old Whiskers

Storing eating apples
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 18:01 »
Actually, many varieties of eating apples do store well - and very well at that.  Two main points: the apples should be of a late ripening variety - early ripeners do not keep - and the apples must be fully ripe when you pick them and bruise and blemish-free.  If you're planning on storing them, pick them carefully and handle them as gently as if they were eggs.  I store lots of apples every year, and I can recommend these varieties: Kidd's Orange Red; Spartan; Ashmead's Kernel; Egremont Russet and (best keeper of all, in my experience) Fiesta.
   I just put them into freezer bags,  six or seven per bag, tie the mouth of the bag and stick a few pin-holes in the bag to allow gas to escape. Then I stack the bags carefully in an old oak barrel outside the back door. If frost threatens, I throw an old coat over the barrel, but that's it - they keep for months!  Go through them every few weeks and weed out any bad ones.

xx
Have you stored veg in a clamp?

Started by Weston grower on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 17:01
by hightide
xx
potatos sprouting when stored

Started by drmoonshine on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 13:27
by mumofstig
xx
stored potatoes sprouting

Started by al78 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 09:59
by jaydig
xx
Stored dried beans

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 15:13
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 38 queries.