Switching energy companies.

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

Switching energy companies.
« on: January 25, 2020, 14:31 »
We only have electrics here and just got a new copy of Which? Currently we're with Scottish Power but they don't have a good rating. I've not had a problem with them via entering my usage and getting an immediate feedback re- my monthly debit, but am war of switching to Octopus or Ivico who I've never heard of but get a better rating. Should I stick with the well-known firms or swap to one of these? What happens if they go bust?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

Re: Switching energy companies.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:33 »
Which can be a useful guide (but can also be overrated). If you go to a company that goes bust you just hold tight and you will be transferred to another company and usually at the same rate till your deal ends. Happened to my local family and they survived the experience without lose of supply.

Once you have been transferred you should also be able to move to a supplier of your choice. I'm a great market investigator when it's time to move at the point when my tariff runs out. Have been for years. Price first but also ratings for service. It's my favourite hobby after allotment learning!!!!

I'm a great user of Uswitch. Once you work out how to use the site, it gives you millions of companies you have never heard of and ratings if they have been in business long enough and are big enough. Just don't give them your email address and do pick ones which don't restrict you to switching through Uswitch. It's the most reliable of the comparison sites I think. It's also fun and educational. Or have a peer into Money Savings Expert in their energy area. Which is equally educational. Both will give you an idea of what the market is like - may well back up Which (or not). You will certainly meet companies that you have never heard of ....

Make coffee first before investigating. The only one that I've ever ducked out of for bad service is Engie - I put in an accurate reading when asked and they did the bill about two weeks later based on whatever they thought. They may have improved.

I'd say to you - don't move if you are happy for now but do go and investigate the market. Ask Mr Google (or other search engine of choice) for suppliers who have gone out of business in 2019. An you may well find other information. Remember that nPower used to be one of the Big 6 supplier (and the main one in my area) but that has been taken over for financial failings and poor customer service. So it's not always size that counts.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:35 by Christine »

jezza

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 10:49 »
Hello have you ever heard a saying better the devil you know than the one you don't, if your with Scottish power and they do maintainence work on any of the cables in your area or connections to your house it's usually free for repair if you change supplier it's the same cables but you come responsible for any problems from the house to the curtilage of your property ie if the cable should burn out under your garden you have to pay for renewal from house to edge of road with Scottish power they would do it free of charge   as for Which and it's magazine it's only worth lighting bonfires with   jezza

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 12:20 »
Thanks Jezza. That's what I thought. We occasionally have an electrical outage due to either a sub-station problem or from swans flying into one of their wires. As my OH has health issues we are on their priority list, they come out quite soon after we've phoned them, they're very polite and always ring us afterwards to check we back on line. One time there was a sub-station problem which was sorted but we had to ring them back because neither they nor us knew some swans had also flown into one of their wires. They were most apologetic but we said it wasn't their fault so don't worry. I'm going to stick with them until my contract runs out then I'll try to get a bit of discount or a better deal with them. Which? is a good source of info but when I've read some of their customer reviews for a product I always look on-line to compare with other reviews.

xx
Switching insurance providers.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2018, 08:50
by madcat
xx
Companies who don't pick up.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2023, 15:00
by mrs bouquet
xx
Twinned seed companies.

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2019, 16:33
by Mr Dog
xx
Technical tax question for Allotment Ltd companies

Started by cardoon queen on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2023, 20:50
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 42 queries.