We're going all electric!

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

We're going all electric!
« on: May 29, 2019, 13:43 »
We've had a coal fire for over 30 years but it's just got a bit too much for us. All the emptying of the ashes, getting heavy buckets of coal and slack in together with all the mess it makes, we decided to get an electric fire, however one can be persuaded to change their mind so we got this today. Do you think we did the right thing?
Actually I'm having you on because it is an electric fire which looks like a log-burner and even has a hidden water bottle that produces "smoke," and you can also get a chimney flue to make it look even more realistic! You never know from reviews but we saw two videos and other good feed-back so took a chance. You can have it on without any heat, the function buttons are hidden behind the front grate which you lift up to operate and there's a remote control doo-dah as well. I just can't stop looking at it and whished we'd got one ages ago.
New Fire. (600 x 505).jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

Re: We're going all electric!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 13:52 »
That looks exactly the sort of thing I've been thinking about having. Although we have central heating, we kept the old gas fire in the living room "just in case", but we've never needed to use it.  I'd love to replace it with the type of fire you've just bought because I've read that you can have the flame effect on without the heat, and I that on summer evenings when it goes a bit cooler, it would be nice to have just the effect of a fire, and, perhaps, just very little heat. 
I'd love to know how you get on with it, it looks absolutely lovely.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 16:26 »
Great idea Goosers!

Our elderly neighbours had a chimney fire some time ago, and it was mainly because the inglenook chimney flue collected hot soot behind the register plate with a few worrying moments, so they bought one of these.

I was in there only a few days ago, and the flame effect is superb, such that it was a direct replica of a woodburner like yours!

In two other posts about electricity costs here, we're all counting the cost of an inefficient national grid and cheating power suppliers, but as you will now save on solid fuel, save of all the cleaning up etc, you're making the right decision!

Just don't sit there all day..;0)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 17:46 »
I think that is lovely and totally in keeping with your beautiful cottage.    I changed mine 2 years ago, from a log burner stove in an inglenook , to a gas completely flat to the wall, about 18" off the floor.  Best of all it is totally remote, from where I sit on the sofa.   The sides and back of it are black mirror glass, so it reflects the flames.They are  so realistic these days.    I just could not manage on my own with a ton of logs arriving on a pallet along with all the daily routine of ashes, log basket, kindling etc.
No no no, this was definitely with way forward for me and I love it.    I am sure you will enjoy yours as well. GG.     regards  Mrs Bouquet, and  thanks for the cosy picture.   :)
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 09:50 »
I know technology moves on quickly, but I looked at some a couple of years ago. The flame effect looked really good, but there was a constant  whirring that would drive me crackers. OK if TV or music is on, but I often sit quietly with a book - so decided not to buy.
Do the new models still have the whirring background noise?

Goosegirl

Going all electric!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 15:03 »
Having a coal fire has been lovely but the cost of fuel, the mess it makes, having to riddle the grate and empty the ash-pan has got a bit too much so we thought we'd get an electric fire, but this was rather persuading to say the least! Before you read the next bit see what you think.

Actually it is an electric fire with overhead lights and an inserted grate comprising of look-alike coal and logs with a water container. When it's switched on you can't tell it from the real thing because the water evaporates that looks like smoke. Every time OH fiddles with it I don't want him to burn himself so that's how realistic it is.
New Fire. (600 x 505).jpg

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 20:40 »

And just where are you going to roast your chestnuts come Yuletide? ? ?

(We removed our chimney years ago).

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 14:57 »
Our coal costs over a grand per year plus slack so that will help towards the bill. The various operating buttons are hidden underneath a flap in the grate and it also has a remote control. There are two heat settings (medium and high), the lighting is adjustable, the water bottle fits into a little reservoir and just needs to be re-filled every day but that's no problem and we don't find the noise from the fan at all intrusive in our little main room; in fact it just sounds like a log-burner with a back-boiler when it's heating water. The only thing we're finding is that when the doors are closed they steam up somewhat. When we first filled the bottle there was a nice little amount of smoke coming out and they were ok but it began the next day, so maybe it's because it's not the best position because it should be flat against a wall whereas it's in front of our open fire. We put a fire-screen behind it but think it will operate better if the open fire was blocked off. As for my husband, he'll just have to find somewhere else to roast his chestnuts!  :lol:

sospan

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 16:23 »
Ah, I do see a flaw in your cunning plan .... how would one warm ones posterior on those cold winter days ?

I never ceases to amaze me the way the wife and some of her friends unashamedly do their little dance with their backs to the fire  :D

However, those electric fires with the smoke generator are quite good. In the property I am renovating now there was two of them and I gave them to my brother and he enjoys the ambience without the mess as well

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 21:01 »
Blimes, Goosey, you're on a winner there with coal costing that much!

I've just checked our fuel bills for a few years, and we never got above £700, and that may have included some logs as well, so good for you!

Mind you, we have these storage heaters, which are ugly but just sit there and do the job they're meant to do, and most of the time they're switched off anyway! The other power threads we all have going here are indicative of a real interest in the way the public are being conned by power charges, and while the coal suppliers are usually pretty good (I always 'negotiate' with the lovely lady in Corralls near Canterbury,and a few whispers in her ear saves me a tenner - bless), but it's our cash and I want it to go in the right direction, so well done you for doing what comes naturally!

Mind you, all that skirt raising in front of the new fire may have to be a Youtube..;0)

(And don't say 'in your dreams', like you did last time..;0)

question
Electric scooters… what do you think ?

Started by Aunt Sally on Chatting on the Plot

47 Replies
Last post August 18, 2021, 05:22
by Growster...
xx
Electric drill

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2024, 19:39
by jaydig
xx
Electric drills in reverse!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post January 26, 2021, 15:47
by grinling
xx
Electric and Gas Smart meters

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2017, 18:55
by jezza

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.