Poultry Boost - No Eggs

• 5 Replies

L 11OBS

• Liam Hobbs
    • Liam's Allotment Blog
Poultry Boost - No Eggs
« on: October 23, 2008, 13:07 »
I have just administered a 5 day course of Poultry Boost to my 6 hens, ( 3 are laying @ approx 24 weeks old and 3 are not @ approx 20 weeks) the idea was to give the 3 younger ones a boost prior to coming into lay.  

Question is will the dose of PB stop the already laying hens laying for a while as I have received no eggs for 3 days now where I was previously getting 3 a day from them?

Foxy

Poultry Boost - No Eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 13:29 »
Hi poultry boost wont affect the laying, but at this time of year laying does slow down due to the shorter days. Saying that though, first year hybrids usually lay over their first winter although not as prolifically as they will in the spring. :D

L 11OBS

• Liam Hobbs
    • Liam's Allotment Blog
Poultry Boost - No Eggs
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 13:32 »
Wondered if it was due to time of year but seemed too much of a coincidence with the dose of PB.  

Much to learn at this chicken keeping lark, one thing I must say though is they do provide great entertainment  :lol:

Bodger

Poultry Boost - No Eggs
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 13:59 »
Apart from keeping them nice and healthy, at this time of the year, the only thing you can do to keep chickens laying is to extend the period of daylight by the use of artificial lighting at the beginning and at the end of the day.
I'm a firm believer that a chicken only has so many eggs to lay in its life time and that what you get now, you wont get later. :D

L 11OBS

• Liam Hobbs
    • Liam's Allotment Blog
Poultry Boost - No Eggs
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 14:56 »
I'm not wanting to have egg laying machines by a long shot, I'm very much a natures course kind of keeper, there will be no artificial lighting going on in my coop.  Same applies to my veggies, not into forcing the issue, let nature take its course with maybe a helping hand now and then ;)

As a new chicken keeper I was a little bemused that they have stopped laying and wondered if the 'medication' played a part in this.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Poultry Boost - No Eggs
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 16:39 »
Poultry Boost is just a vitamin supplement.

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.