£1.57 per egg

• 6 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
£1.57 per egg
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:34 »
I'm a bit bored on holiday and for something to do calculated the price per egg since I got my chickens I got to £1.57  after including the vet, bills flubenvet and frontline and all the other bits and bobs does anyone else feel like the chooks cost a fortune ??? that price is gonna double next week when I get them the eglu cube! ha ha I could have had a human baby for less. I love my chickens and wouldn't swap them for anything and even want more but this is without a doubt the most expensive way to get eggs.
Still hatching babies when my best girl goes all broody on me though  :tongue2:
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: £1.57 per egg
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 13:50 »
The first couple of eggs I got off my girls worked out at £75 each  :ohmy:, now though they pay for themselves and their meds should they need them (sadly human babies do end up costing a lot, lot more in the long run  :lol:).
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 14:15 »
I don't think any of us do it for the economies of cheap eggs.  If we think that, we are deluding ourselves.  We do it for a hobby, because we value excellent quality of the eggs and love the antics of the chickens and the many happy hours we spend looking after them.  it's a small price to pay for a fastinating hobby.

Our three pigs have just gone off to the butcher this week and if I totalled up just how much they've cost to raise in terms of the cost per joint or sausage I think I might have myselF committed as the total off the top of my head for three pigs stands at around £1500 at least. With the cost of building the run and buying housing, their purchase, feed, transport from the breeder and to the slaughterhouse and back from the butcher, slaughter cost, butchers cost, cost of tagging and all the bureaucracy, two new freezers etc.  Still I expect it will be the best pork we every tasted and we gave them a good life while they were with us.  One they might not have had otherwise. They were petted, scratched and pampered everyday and we will have lots of lovely memories so it was well worth it and as good as a holiday, and in many ways better.

HF
Truth through science.

amckeen

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 20:09 »
I am sad enough to have kept a spreadsheet since setting up with the hens and I log expenses and sales, etc.  My eggs are down to 61 pence each.

925 eggs since setting up at the start of February and a total expenditure of £566 in that time.

Somehow think the penny egg will never happen though (unless they go mad and start laying 5 each a day!)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:43 »
I am sad enough to have kept a spreadsheet since setting up with the hens and I log expenses and sales, etc.  My eggs are down to 61 pence each.

925 eggs since setting up at the start of February and a total expenditure of £566 in that time.

Somehow think the penny egg will never happen though (unless they go mad and start laying 5 each a day!)

Just on feed and litter alone I reckon my chickens cost around 38p a week each (about 900grams of feed a week each) and I have 18 immature growers, 19 layers, 2 cocks, and a couple of old girls past laying.  At anytime I have 3 to 5 broodies so I'm lucky to get 70 - 80 eggs a week so that's around 20p an egg without thinking about medication (don't spend much), grit, supplements (very little) or infrastructure (at least £600 this year so far), cleaning and sanitation.  So the one pence egg is not even a far away dream.  And the eggs I sell just about cover the feed but in winter they don't even do that.
HF

joshbuchan

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 19:03 »
umm now u have done it, now i will have to work out if my chickens are full afishent :nowink: and how much its cost me to get set up and how much i will need to make to pay it of, i dnt know how many eggs i have had or sold but its quite alot.... hmmm now time to get the maths head into gear! ::)

amckeen

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 17:22 »
I know - even if I spent no more on the 11 girls we would be looking at over 56000 eggs (hmmmm, perhaps I can find a radioactive spider to bite them)

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 36 queries.