Borecole Winterbor Kale

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

Borecole Winterbor Kale
« on: March 02, 2024, 10:51 »
This is the first time that I have grown this and it has done fantastically. Question; does any one know how long it will produce for? I thought it would be giving up by now but it is still going strong. I am in the planning stage for my container allotment and would like to know how long it will need the space that it is in.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Borecole Winterbor Kale
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 12:26 »
I find it depends on the weather.  Mine always bolts as soon as temperatures go up in spring.  Some years that is as early as February, but it can go on into March and even April.

The bolting process can happen very fast, so I would plan for whatever you want in that container.  If the kale is still going, don’t feel bad about pulling it up.  You can bet if you delay things, it will bolt and then you will be behind with the summer crop you wanted.

I play the same Mexican stand off game with chard and overwintered oriental veg as well.  The greenhouse oriental veg has already blinked and lost, but the plot stuff is standing firm … so far.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 21:39 »
I've not grown that one, mainly red russian which is great in salads even when quite large, tuscan kale for cooking and siberian mainly for hardiness

I sow kale in early June as a second crop and it tends to bolt april/may. The shoots can be quite tasty for a short while ,  but otherwise it goes unproductive.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 10:54 »
I've not grown that one, mainly red russian which is great in salads even when quite large, tuscan kale for cooking and siberian mainly for hardiness

I sow kale in early June as a second crop and it tends to bolt april/may. The shoots can be quite tasty for a short while ,  but otherwise it goes unproductive.
We have some very low temperatures here every winter and I have had problems in the past so I decided to grow this hybrid variety of borecole bred for its winter hardiness. It has grown well despite temps of -10C and tastes great in my stir fries.  I will check out Siberian though, thank you for this.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 11:00 »

We have some very low temperatures here every winter and I have had problems in the past so I decided to grow this hybrid variety of borecole bred for its winter hardiness. It has grown well despite temps of -10C and tastes great in my stir fries.  I will check out Siberian though, thank you for this.

Just did a quick search and I think Borecole is siberian kale?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 13:56 »
Just did a quick search and I think Borecole is siberian kale?

I think borecole just means kale. There are 2 basics types.  Brassica oleracea (Acephala group) are the crinkly leaved ones and Brassica napus (Pabularia group) which are the more flat leaved ones with curly edges.   Siberian kale is a flat leaved type as is Red Russian. Winterbor is a very crinkly leaved one, although there is a lot of cross breeding of varieties, so it may have some Siberian genes in there somewhere. When it comes to bolting, I haven’t noticed much difference in any of them.

Snow is right about Red Russian being a good one, but if very low temperatures are a problem where you grow, Siberian kale stands almost anything.

xx
Kale?

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 11:02
by maxie
xx
Sea Kale?

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2022, 16:14
by Learnerlady
xx
Kale

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 19:38
by LandShark
xx
Can I fix kale?

Started by Raven81 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 11:18
by Raven81

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 45 queries.