Help please! Poor bullied ducklings....

• 50 Replies

Vember

Re: Help please! Poor bullied ducklings....
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 09:32 »
Don't panic about release just yet Heather :)
By the time they are ready to go they will have their flight feathers so will be better equipped to escape any predators :)

Great news that they've had a drink, your doing a great job  :D

Sarah :)

heatherhsp

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 11:44 »
Cheers Sarah!  :)

heatherhsp

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 13:53 »
Update!  Ducklings are all fine.  Can't get them into a shelter of any sort though.  In the day, they sleep under a bench (I've put wood on top like a little roof), sometimes they hide in the long grass in another walled garden area. But at night, they huddle together on the grass to sleep, completely out in the open.  Do you think that's okay?

Heather

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 19:51 »
Mine adults would do that if I let them but they go in with a little encouragement. They will be fine from a temp/weather point of view but predators may be a problem.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 19:59 »
I spent 10 minutes+ last night shining a torch, chasing round the outisde of the run and leaping over the paddling pool, in a bid to make going inside seem a more advantageous option.
I won in the end. I always do. It just takes a while to negotiate. :D

I have made a 'false front' with some timber and welded mesh so the house is open fronted and seems less like an artificial place to sleep.
However, since the sun comes up about 4/4.30am and I don;t get up until about 6am, it meant that littlun was stuck in there wanting to get out and gettign frustrated. I decided to stick with the solid door.

Being semi-wild, it's tricky to know what to do for best. I always opt for the safe option. As kate says, if any got taken in the night, you'd feel pretty rotten, but you know what's best in your situation. :)

Rob 8)

heatherhsp

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 21:01 »
Well, if they're warm enough, that's good.  As for being got by some other creature, what would it be?  The chickens here are never been locked in. 

For 10 years, the previous owners had chickens, never locked in (and neighbours also don't shut them in).  Very enthusiastic game keepers mean nobody has every seen a fox.  Don't want to speak too soon though. 

I thought they'd naturally find shelter though.  I do have a hut that they could go in - if I could get them there.  But want to try to keep they as natural as poss...

poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 21:11 »
You could try a dish of something nice in there but you can bet at least one would stay out. ::)

As long as you're happy as they are, stick with what you feel is right. :)

We've never seen any foxes round here either but we don't have gamekeepers to keep an eye out  :unsure:

Rob 8)

heatherhsp

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 10:25 »
Just to say thanks for all your info and support.  It really helps when you have no idea what's best!

Still have 8 ducklings this morning - thankfully!  Worked out that they're 6 weeks now, but are still quite fluffy, when do the proper feathers come fully?  I think they are starting to sprout.

I know my one female duck is laying eggs somewhere again.... dread to think there'll be more ducklings!  A friend of ours who has a farm, won't take the drakes, but will take her and any other females (she already has too many drakes), though she is gorgeous, and I don't want her to go, I'm sure it'll be for the best. 

Question is, how will the drakes be without any females?  If they'll be okay, I'll just keep them.

Cheers
Heather

Vember

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 10:59 »
I would think another couple of weeks and the flight feathers will be there :) Titch's lot are 8wks and they are practicing take off  :ohmy:

You might find that drakes will go off in search of females :(
How many drakes are there?

Sarah :D

heatherhsp

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 11:11 »
There are 4 adults.  I can't tell with the ducklings what they are yet.  Their tail feathers are pointing alarmingly upwards though.... hope they're not all boys!! Don't really wany to give any away, but have to...  :(

Vember

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25 »
I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep one male and the female plus any females that have hatched (got to be one hopefully) then maybe offer the other males free to good homes on here, there is also preloved where you can advertise them :)
The youngsters wont become a problem until next spring so maybe look into something for the adult boys for now :)
The only other thing as I've said before is to cull some of them :( Not nice but sometimes best :(

If it were me I'd go with the last option, keeping just a one boy and any females :)

Sarah :D

heatherhsp

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 11:40 »
Ta for advice Sarah.  Problem will be though that they'll keep having more ducklings if I keep the female.  And culling for me isn't an option I'm afraid.  I understand what you're saying though. 

So I don't want them to keep producing more ducklings, or the whole of Swaledale will be filled with ducks!  :D

It seems that nobdy wants drakes do they?  (they seem to be very fertile!!!) 

Heather

Vember

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 11:49 »
Is there no way you could fence off an area for the female? That way finding any eggs would be easier so she wouldn't get the chance to sit them :)

Clutching at a few straws I know but would love you to be able to keep a couple  :D

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 12:27 »
Is there any way you could face other people taking the drakes and culling them ?

You may find it hard to find new homes for all of them otherwise. And the drakes tend to outnumber the females.

Don't envy you the dilemma. :(

Rob 8)

heatherhsp

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 12:36 »
Can't fence off. Think that'd be hard for her,as she's used to a free life, going on the river etc.  Can't bear the thought of any being killed. 

I'll keep the drakes. Or is that cruel?  And she's such a lovely little duck...

Oh dear...  :(    I know I'm soft.  I'm not cut out for the realities of life it seems!

Heather

xx
Poor chicken being bullied :-((

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 22:44
by newChickenMummy
xx
poor poor tweety --- incubators suck

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:25
by Midwife
xx
One hen being bullied

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 15:19
by Pepperpincushion
sad
bullied hen !!!

Started by Gezza on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 22:59
by Gezza

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 38 queries.