Chipped oak as coop litter?

• 3 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Chipped oak as coop litter?
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:12 »
A young oak at the front of our place is getting too close to the power lines so the power company is going to give it a heavy prune soon.  They usually run the prunings through a mulcher and take them away.  Is it worth me intercepting them and asking to keep the wood chips?

Being mid summer here, there will be lots of leaves and fresh young growth, as well as a few older branches.

I'm in the final stage of coop setup and (with luck) will be getting my first pullets this week.   :D

Casey76

Re: Chipped oak as coop litter?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:28 »
I think the chippings may be too big to use as litter... however I'd try to intercept them anyway to use as mulch on my borders/pot plants etc.

I spent a couple of hours on Saturday shredding some old redcurrant canes, and they were recycled as mulch for my border :)

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30 »
A young oak at the front of our place is getting too close to the power lines so the power company is going to give it a heavy prune soon.  They usually run the prunings through a mulcher and take them away.  Is it worth me intercepting them and asking to keep the wood chips?

Being mid summer here, there will be lots of leaves and fresh young growth, as well as a few older branches.

I'm in the final stage of coop setup and (with luck) will be getting my first pullets this week.   :D

Definitely keep them and compost them for at least 3 months, they rot quickly, but in no circumstances use them in their house this would be extremely dangerous to use any hardwood mulch in the confines of a house.  You would certainly get mould and spoors can infect their respiratory tracts and prove fatal.  Used after composting in a well ventillated run would be OK and also in winter it's ideal for muddy conditions around the garden so use for these purposes only.
But certainly keep it but off limits for chx while composting.
HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 21:31 »
oooh!  :ohmy:  Thanks for the advice Casey & Hillfooter.  I will be sure to compost all the woodchips down before using them in the run.  There are areas in the run that I expect will get muddy during winter, so I will reserve them for that purpose and not use them in the coop.

I'm so pleased to be learning as I go, and have you all here as a ready reference!  :)

xx
Cat litter

Started by JaK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 10:03
by JaK
xx
litter for a shed?

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 20:25
by evie2
xx
The Value of Deep Litter

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post January 23, 2024, 09:20
by spud
xx
Deep Litter - I'm not getting it

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 23:06
by Foxy

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 36 queries.