looking after 2 week old chicks

• 3 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
looking after 2 week old chicks
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:56 »
i have 5 2 week old hybrid chicks coming next friday and wondered if anyone had any ideas on the best way to bring them up. i have read loads of books and have got a heat lamp , the feeders for chicks and the crumb etc. the only part that i am unsure of is what to put them in. the breeder said to get a big plastic box, i have also seen broders which is best. i am a veterinary nurse so the welfare of the chicks is most important. i have reared lots of other baby animals before but have no experience with chickens. also does anyone know how much they should be handles to tame them, the books seem to have different views ranging from dont because it causes them stress to quite a lot. thanks for any help you can give me.

Vember

Re: looking after 2 week old chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:11 »
Hi AM :)

I always use a plastic storage box but then I rarely have more than 3 being reared indoors :)

Upside is it's very easily cleaned down side for chicks is once they discover they can jump :lol: Netting of some kind on the top  would be an advantage then :)

You might find with 5 that they will need something bigger sooner than I do but it's a good starting point :)

As for handling all breeds are different some happier to be handled than others, you'll have your hand in and out a couple of times a day with feed and cleaning out etc... leave your hand in and let them come to you they'll soon get the idea that that's where the food is coming from :)
Also get some dried meal worms pop them in your hand they'll love you forever, just don't give them too many one or two each as a treat :D

Bet you can't wait till friday :D

Sarah :D

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:00 »
i am really looking forward to friday, thanks for your help. i am a little worried about the survival rate because of what i have read in books. i just want to do the best for them. i think i will get a big storage box and cover in wire as i do have 2 cats. i was thinking about placing the box in our garage, it is attached to the house and is totally secure, we dont use it for cars etc.  thay will have a 250 heat lamp, there is no drafts,do you think that will be ok.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:57 »
That'll be grand for them :)

Just make sure you have a couple of thermometers or at least one you can trust and get the temp right the day before :)

I nearly roasted some goslings the week before last due to a dodgy thermom   :mad:

Sarah :D

smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway
xx
5 week old chicks

Started by rossivale on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 19:33
by rossivale
xx
looking to get some week old chicks

Started by iwantchicks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 05:08
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 38 queries.