Gooseberry & Redcurrant bush leaves stripped bare

• 7 Replies

fatgit

« on: July 13, 2007, 13:09 »
I have two new bushes, planted in March, which had started to do rather well, but have had their leaves stripped bare in the last week or so.
There's no sign of any pests on the plant, or any form of mould etc.

I do have problems with snails on the plot, but there are no signs of snails having been near the plants at all, and the other fruit bushes haven't been touched.
Both bushes are next to the fence, and the land at the back is full of thistle, dock, grass and various other weeds, but so is the main gooseberry bush, which hasn't been touched.

I don't have any  pictures of the pattern of destruction currently, as the camera is playing up, but does anyone have any ideas as to what might attack the foliage on these two plants until I can get a photo ?

Cheers
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

CJ81

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 13:32 »
Same for me, my three year old bush- enough berries for a few pies. Last week absolutely zip, it was the blackbird, but the chick has a taste for them and regularly visits the bush hoping for more.

splodger

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 15:25 »
gooseberry sawfly - strips bushes bare - and does it very quickly - odd you can't see any pests though.

David.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 16:19 »
Ants nesting amongst the roots caused complete leaf loss/death of one of my gooseberries.

fatgit

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 20:15 »
splodger : If it was the sawfly, would it also strip the foliage of the redcurrant bush ?

CJ81 : the bushes haven't produced any fruit yet, but an established gooseberry bush close by is untouched, which has got me stumped.

I'll try and get a photo as soon as poss, as that may help, and thanks for the replies

purplekat

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 22:44 »
Hiya,

Redcurrant and gooseberries are both from the Ribes family/genus whatever so yes gooseberry sawfly would get them both. Why a close gooseberry would be untouched I don't know though, although one of my gooseberries seems to get hit worse than the other.
Sawfly can defoliate very quickly, although if there's a few leaves left you can normally see the caterpillars (they only start about 5mm long so you have to look carefully) - they're bright green with a black head.

Here's a pic of the damage I found on google

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/gooseberry03a.JPG

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 23:08 »
Gooseberry sawfly, nasty tiny little beggars, drop to the ground when they see you coming. A dose of derris in the evening when the bees have gone to bed will see to them. Funny, I haven't had them this year, first time ever. Must have all moved up to your plot

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 14:37 »
There's also the possibility of rabbits or deer eating the foliage. I suspect gooseberry bushes are more hairy to their tongues so they don't munch them. You're close enough to where they'd hide so some chicken wire caging might be needed next year if you're positive it's not sawflies. It'll also protect any fruit from thieving birds.

xx
gooseberry branch stripped bare

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 20:45
by Chiswickian
xx
All the leaves have fallen off my gooseberry bush

Started by chrisjsmith on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 16:38
by chrisjsmith
xx
Gooseberry bush has lost a lot of leaves.

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 12:31
by Stevens706
xx
gooseberries stripped bare

Started by owein on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 12:57
by Libby

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 40 queries.