Are Arks/Coops cruel ??

• 39 Replies

woodburner

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 22:58 »
Arks aren't necessarily triangular, or small, and whether they are cruel or not is not just about square footage. As someone already pointed out, space to flap (and jump) is important, so is stuff to scratch in, and green stuff and something to perch on is good too.
I had two silkies in run about 4ft sq about 3ft high, with vertical sides, it took them about a week to massacre each patch of lawn, but as we never let them reduce the area to bare earth before we moved them it only took a couple of weeks to recover better than before. Bigger birds scratch harder though, so I reckon if you are going to keep 3 birds in that area you will either have to move them every day, or put down paving slabs covered with woodchip or gravel.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

pushrod

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 23:04 »
for those ebay prices you could make something yourself that was much bigger and better - have a go  :D
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

too many girls

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 23:16 »
Hi Geoff, i say go for it, the wife will be as besotted with the hens as everyone seems to be on here, 2 weeks and she won't care about a pretty garden, just pretty hens, it's addictive.................

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 23:53 »
Quote from: "Vember"
Quote from: "geoffwales"

3 will they do much damage if the ark is moved every couple of days

In my opinion yes, I have 1 adult Barnevelder LF with 4 tiny buff orp chicks in a run bigger than that 2.5x2.5 mtr and I'm having to move it every other day and there is still an odd patch of grass uncovered!! and yes they have a seperate scratch area it's just they prefer to dig up the grass  :roll: !

We have been very lucky that our hens do not seem to do much damage at all - they are silkies. Someone said that hens with feathered feet will not dig as much?? May be thats right?
Our neighbours have a moveable ark on their lawn and in the summer she moves it along daily (She added wheels to one end and lisft p the other to pull), rakes the big droppings off and waters the patch where it has been. In the winter she has to do it less often. I have to say her lawn is beautiful for it! Everyone comments on it, asking what lawn treatment she uses!!!

blossom1044

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 11:02 »
My penny worth

From personal experience we've got 4 birds and 3ft by 3ft per bird in a coup and pen is only just enough.  Our peb is currently 12ft long and 3ft wide.  Our coup is 4ft by 3ft.  We're going to make the floor space bigger, but we have the room to do that and other people don't.  Ours will get to free range in the morning and later afternoon to stretch their legs.  currently our new chocks are adjusting to their new home.  They get their first extended tour of the garden tomorrow.

So my advice is, if you are thinking about the 1.5m by 1.5m get only 2 birds for the moment and see how they fit.  It does depend on the breed too.  Small bantams will mean you can have more in such a space, but other breeds are medium to heavy in size and therefore take up a lot more room.

If you are worried about room per bird, air on the side of caution and get only 2 chickens.  Then when you're at home let them out to free range and get to know you too.

They will scratch your lawn up and dig around for stuff.  If you want to keep it a bit nicer - move them daily.

You've got to do what is right for you and the hens.  At the end of the daily you both have to live together.
new to hens
Thanks
T

geoffwales

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 17:43 »
Its great to get all this advice and i much appreciate your time in responding. I think im gonna just go and build and ark and when wife complains hopfully it will be to late.

Thx

compostqueen

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 17:56 »
tee hee, I got mine in secret  8)   They were already settled in by the time my OH came from work  :twisted:

geoffwales

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 17:48 »
A friendly bloke who i recently met in my village keeps chickens and has offered a patch on his land, which i think is very generous. Its about 5 mins walk from home and im seriously thinking its a positive step towards me getting chickens. If John reads this thats a very generous offer and i think i may take you up on it..

Thanks
Geoff

Vember

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 18:53 »
Wow thats great news Geoff, you get the best of both worlds, your happy, your wife is happy  :D

Porffor

Are Arks/Coops cruel ??
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 19:27 »
How wonderful.. now if i could meet someone like that I could have pygmy goats.. ducks, a pig or two.. OMG I could have a small holding!!  :lol:

xx
Stoats and Arks

Started by marygall on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 00:02
by marygall
xx
Forsham Arks

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:10
by Granddad Rob
xx
Broody arks/pens in Essex?

Started by Sparkle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 17:13
by Caralou
xx
Run for a Boughton Chicken Coop by Forsham Cottage Arks

Started by Squiffy59 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 19:32
by spud

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 32 queries.