Will Chickens Be Okay With 2 Cats + a Dog??

• 20 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: August 25, 2007, 23:33 »
I want to get some chickens (2 or 3) but I already have a medium/large dog (very good natured, NEVER fights with other dogs and he gets 'henpecked' by the cats).  

AND.... I have 2 very large cats (7 kilos each - podgy kitty's).  They have brought in loads of birds over the years, a vole, a couple of bats, mice, oh and once we even found a large rabbit in the hall - must have been a mission for them as the rabbit was as big as the cat flap!  I think the rabbit may have been dead when they found it.

I have read a mix of posts about cats being scared of the birds and also about them going for them and getting pecked etc.

I wanted the birds to be free range as I have loads of space, concrete and a field.  The other option is, I have 2 huge concrete outhouses, probably 15 foot high by 18 foot wide and 30 foot long.  One has a roof and one doesnt.  Both of them are totally open at the front.  Could I convert one of these to give them a good house or is grass essential.   Also, how would I make it fox proof - too big an opening for a door.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:25 »
I think that a cat is no match for a chicken, my cats never bothered with them, my kittens chase the chicks but soon run a mile when they get a whack of a peck from a broody.  

I imagine if your dog is henpecked by cats the chickens will be ok too.  My daughter brought her Staffie and choc Labbie here, first time either had seen a chicken and they had no interest at all.  My sons lab/collie cross just wanted to gather them up but gave up after being told off by the protective broodys.

I think you would be fine. :D

I expect the blokies will be here with building advice on the outbuildings soon :wink:
sandra
x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:33 »
I personally would not trust a dog alone with the chickens.  I have heard too may stories from people who's dog has suddenly attacked the hens and the owner is so supprised because the dog "is so gentle and would never hurt a fly".  

I would advise supervision ad not allowing them together while there are no people around  :!:

cluckingmad

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:19 »
I have 3 cats (one a tomcat who likes to bring home baby bunnies!) and 2 border collies.  The only cat that's not terrified of the chickens likes to go and find a place to sleep in or around the coop - but is usually moved as the chickens start shouting at her and won't give her any peace :)   As for my two dogs, I wouldn't leave them unsupervised but they are fine when I'm with them.  When I first got my chickens I kept them in their run and introduced the dogs by letting them look at them and sniff and being firm with them if they started salivating or getting too close.  Now my dogs seem to be more interested in getting hold of the layers pellets than the chickens :roll:  which isnt a good thing when it comes out the other end.  Good luck!
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 19:17 »
Thanks for your advice.  The dog is a 'house dog' so he's never out for more than 5 minutes, I could certernally supervise him when he's out.

I will put another post on about my outhouses with a couple of pics.

I wanted to rescue a couple of battery hens - I am in Northern Ireland, does anyone have any sources where I could find a battery farm.

slowef

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:52 »
You could contact the Hen Welfare they do rescues maybe they can put you in contact with someone in Ireland.  hey may also have ideas for your buildings, you can but ask :)

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/rescuedates.html

Just posted on your new message and then saw your in Ireland, sorry :oops:

calli

• http://greenwelliesbalertwine.myfreeforum.org/index.php
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 15:29 »
Hi Pookey - you are in chicken country up there compared with us :D

I have a mixture of GDS and terriers and hundreds of free range chickens.

I have rescued a stupid silkie from the gsds mouth unhurt so I reckon its a matter of the nature of the dogs.

slowef

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 17:41 »
whats a gsd? :oops:

Sally A

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 18:00 »
German Shepherd (previously known as an Alsatian)

RTB

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 18:04 »
I am fairly new to Chickens but our Labrador is very interested in our 4 Wyandottes she just sits and watches what is going on, but if I am honest I would not leave her unattended with them as soft and docile as she is.
I would like to hug you for as long as I am going to miss you

Selkie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 19:39 »
we have three cats and a dog aswell as two hens (who have a run and aren't free ranging in the garden); I was a bit apprehensive about how they would react to the hens - our dog, Henry, is a greyhound, a failed (and rescued) coursing dog so I was worried that he might think they were fair game.

he did manage to jump into the run once before we got the hens but I think he learnt his lesson there, we had to lift him out (not easy to lift a great big dog over a 3 ft fence).

Henry and one of the cats (Toby) find them fascinating to watch (in a kind of 'watching tv' kind of way, if that makes sense (?) - and not in a malicious/hunting kind of way. The older cat isn't bothered about them at all and our youngest one, who's only a couple of months old chatters her teeth at them through the kitchen window!

Toby does sometimes go into their run but doesn't bother since one of the girls pecked him when he got too close...he does love eating their pellets though -- is this normal for a cat?! :lol:

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 00:23 »
Quote from: "calli"
Hi Pookey - you are in chicken country up there compared with us :D

I have a mixture of GDS and terriers and hundreds of free range chickens.

I have rescued a stupid silkie from the gsds mouth unhurt so I reckon its a matter of the nature of the dogs.

I have emailed loads of livestock suppliers, egg producers and searched the local papers and ads 4 free - nothing!  Portadown is the nearest - some bantams.  I will have to keep asking locally and I'll try a few of the cattle farmers next door!!  I thought I'd find em easy too!

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 18:31 »
Try Practical Poultry magazine - thats where I found my hens, feed etc. If you can't find it in your local newsagent you can go on their website and subscribe, its worth getting as there are usually some helpful articles.

muntjac

cats n dogs
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 19:10 »
i have 2 cats n 4 dogs and mine wander around em all day, cats sleep on coop shed roofs .my old cat had her kittens in a chicken coop .only blooming probs i get is from nieghbours cats but they have learned its a no go area .or ferrets some as let go cos he couldnt look after em properly :)
still alive /............

slowef

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 20:48 »
Have a look  on Pictures topic I have just posted a picture of my daughters Staffie with my Polish Chick Crunchie.  He is a soppy old so and so

xx
cats and chickens.

Started by ruthsamuel2 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 21:52
by lina
xx
CHICKENS AND CATS

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 16:23
by feelingbroody
xx
cats and chickens

Started by brucie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:49
by peggyprice
xx
Chickens and Cats

Started by Markw on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 18:29
by Markw

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 39 queries.