Soft Shelled Eggs

• 3 Replies

Chook Chook

Soft Shelled Eggs
« on: May 20, 2010, 20:25 »
Hi Everyone

I have read loads of posts on here regarding this subject but need a little reassurance please!!

I have two Rhode Island Reds which are 23 weeks old (I have had them for 5 weeks this saturday) and 1 lays perfectly at around the same time each day.  The other chook started off laying quite well for a baby but always presented me with one or maybe two soft shelled eggs which she did whilst perching when she went to bed (they don't normally perch, they snuggle together in the nesting box).  She would then lay a normal egg for the next few days. 

Over the last fews days she has been back to laying soft shelled eggs in the evening again, sometimes two but never in their house, always in the garden, in fact this evening my hubby watched her lay one.

I have also noticed that she seems to stand still and appears asleep for a few minutes and then totters off and does chickeny things, sometimes she just sits down.  I also caught her sunbathing the other day, to be honest I thought she had died as she had her head in her food and was lying on her side with her eyes closed, have never seen a chicken sunbathe before lol!!!

I did offer her some egg shell this morning but she wasn't interested.  They are both fed on layers mash and have grit and fresh water every day.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated, the place where I got the chooks keep on telling me she will get over it but it has been going on a while now, a bit like this post!!!! :nowink:

Many thanks in anticipation

Lorraine

Chook Chook

Re: Soft Shelled Eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 13:35 »
Hi again

Went back to the place I got my chooks from this morning and the Chook Man is on holiday and not back for 10 days argh!!!!

Asked if giving poultry spice or a tonic would help but the people didn't know.  I bought some anyway and gave it to them in their food this morning so fingers crossed.

Got another tiny soft shelled egg this morning and it had a strange coating on it, not sure if it was the colouring but fingers crossed that could be a sign that she is getting over what ever is ailing her!!

Lorraine

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 14:05 »
poultry spice or tonic wouldn't really help with soft shelled eggs but it will encourage them to eat/drink more which in turn means she could get more of the necessary vits and minerals needed. I would think as she is just getting into the swing of things these softies are just a minor hiccup and soon she should be laying eggs with a nice shell on, just make sure she has access to either oyster shell or washed, baked and crushed egg shells (they don't need a lot so you often don't see them eat it) and grit for grinding their feed  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chook Chook

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 15:55 »
Hi Joyfull

Many thanks for your reply.

I kept the little bit of egg shell from yesterday so will make sure it is in their run for them.

The soft shell laying chook (Riu) seems a lot perkier today and has been out in the garden all day following her sister around!! They are both good eaters but have really enjoyed tucking into the mash that had the pultry spice in so you never know the extra vits might give her her mojo back lol !!

Thanks again and have a lovely weekend in the sunshine!!

Lorraine  :D

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
soft shelled eggs

Started by angeandjohn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 16:06
by angeandjohn
xx
Soft Shelled Eggs

Started by CaCa and Doris on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 22:57
by CaCa and Doris
xx
soft shelled eggs

Started by tilly92 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 19:39
by tilly92

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.