Soft Shelled Eggs

• 6 Replies

CaCa and Doris

Soft Shelled Eggs
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:25 »
Hello! We have had our 2 wonderful chooks since mid September. They are hybrids and started laying bang on 21 weeks. However now our Red Rock has started laying soft shelled eggs once or sometimes twice a week.  Their eggs are usually laid before we let the hens out at first light but she often lays these soft ones just after they go to roost when its getting dark and they just land on the coop floor under her perch (otherwise they are excellent at laying in their nesting boxes). One morning there were 2 soft shelled eggs on the floor of the coop and 2 normal eggs in the nest boxes!  This morning again there were 2 soft shelled eggs on the floor and after I let them out she went back in and sat for ages as if she felt she still needed to lay!  They have a constant supply of layers pellets with grit mixed in and some scraps later in the afternoon.  What could be causing this and if it is a lack of calcium how can I get her to eat the grit that is supplied? They are both bright, alert and friendly hens, very cheeky and also well covered so I have no other health concerns.  Looking forward to hearing your suggestions, thanks! (Isn't this a brilliant website by the way!)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Soft Shelled Eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48 »
the grit is just to help them grind their feed up as they have no teeth, you need oyster shell (or even crushed clean baked egg shells) for the calcium  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

CaCa and Doris

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 12:35 »
Hi ,yes it is a mixture of oyster shell and grit that i give them.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:50 »
Cut out any scraps or treats,stick to a good quality layers pellets. Have an additonal container full of oyster shell, check the quality of the oyster shell as some can be full of cockle shell which doesn't contain quality calcium.
Add a teaspoon of codliver oil plus a teaspoon of poultry spice and mix well into their pellets twice a week, keep to this regime for the next 2 weeks :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 13:57 »
Have got this problem with Wilma at the moment despite good diet including poultry spice and daily extra portion of fine oyster shell.

Following recommendations from peeps here, will be adding cod liver oil to the regime(improves uptake of minerals).

On recommendation from our game keeper, have been trying to get Wilma to have a calcium tab, with varying success.

Now instead of calcium tabs, thinking of limestone flour (might have got that wrong), recommended by Grumpy Dad.

Had a problem with Wilma at the weekend because soff egg had ruptured and she couldn't expell it.  She was quite poorly, but luckily we managed to hoick it out.  And after a weekend in the house, she fine now.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 15:06 »
Limestone flour is an excellent choice and it's easy to mix in with their feed because it can coat so well.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

CaCa and Doris

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 22:57 »
Thanks everone. Bought some Davinova C to add to their water and we haven't had a soft shell again!

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
question
Soft Shelled Eggs???

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 14:49
by leggygirls
xx
Soft shelled eggs

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 00:26
by pushrod
xx
Soft Shelled eggs

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 08:20
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.