Early Morning Club

• 2706 Replies

LotuSeed

Re: Early Morning Club
« Reply #1635 on: December 05, 2014, 08:10 »
Good morning  had a little light shown  we have an offer on my bungalow Ihave accepted just got wait whilst they sell theirs.

Fingers crossed all goes well!

3 am here. I hate insomnia. 😖
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Springlands

« Reply #1636 on: December 05, 2014, 09:15 »
Oh LutoSeed - that is such a pain. Well it was more sleepy, sleepy for me as I did not wake up until nearly 8.45 this morning.      :)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #1637 on: December 05, 2014, 11:16 »
@LotuSeed - my elderly aunt moved in with her daughter to break the selling chain when she moved only a few months ago. Could there be some chance that the people in your line might move into temporary accommodation to break the chain they are in? The benefit would be less in legal fees, etc, plus less headache of waiting.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #1638 on: December 05, 2014, 15:18 »
Well, I actually had a lie in till 7 this morning. OH started coughing at 1.30 and came down so he could cough without bothering anyone, so I had the rare treat of a king sized bed to myself. Took me an hour to get back to sleep but then had to get up as we had to deliver some hand made cards to a business...and I wanted a good nosey at his place. :lol:

Then we went to the supermarket for essentials and Lidl (would you believe) for luxuries. All shopping done for a couple of months. Long day.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #1639 on: December 06, 2014, 07:04 »
Morning all. What a horrible shock. Thick, thick frost :( :(

I am not looking forward to today. I have a Christmas event which is outdoors. :( :( :( :(

Yesterday was outdoors for 8 hours and wasn't this cold but I was still freezing cold. I expect today I will be really frozen.

Thank heavens tomorrows event is an indoor, afternoon jobbie.

Might get a bit of  lie in and not suffer from hypothermia. Obviously a 2 hot water bottle bedtime tonight.

rogerbodger

« Reply #1640 on: December 06, 2014, 07:21 »
Morning all,

I think we've had more frosts already this year than we had the whole of last winter .... at least it's dry though

Hope your Christmas event goes well today Mrs Bee

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1641 on: December 06, 2014, 08:07 »
It's supposed to be sunny though today - in the end...hope you have a good set of thermals.  :D

tosca100

« Reply #1642 on: December 06, 2014, 11:05 »
We are having a very soggy time of things, though we did have frost a week ago. Since then it has been very UKish, grey, damp and miserable. Went out yesterday and they had thick ice covering everywhere, been like that five days so I shouldn't complain. At dusk our solar lights came on so it seems we actually missed sme sun!

Today, up before 5, pouring with rain again so am holed up in the kitchen baking. OH is next door helping with slaughtering and butchering their two pigs. UGH! I was invited but declined. I am happy to integrate but having been (almost) veggie for over thirty years I draw the line and hope they are not offended.

So bread for a week, cherry cake and cheese scones made, cottage cheese lunch and a nap in front of the fire before wading out to see to the chooks.

Kevin67

« Reply #1643 on: December 06, 2014, 11:21 »
@Tosca - I would pay to have a holiday at your place! Really... Don't worry, it's not a hint as I cannot afford it but by golly you'd give a great holiday for someone similarly minded.

LotuSeed

« Reply #1644 on: December 06, 2014, 11:22 »
We are having a very soggy time of things, though we did have frost a week ago. Since then it has been very UKish, grey, damp and miserable. Went out yesterday and they had thick ice covering everywhere, been like that five days so I shouldn't complain. At dusk our solar lights came on so it seems we actually missed sme sun!

Today, up before 5, pouring with rain again so am holed up in the kitchen baking. OH is next door helping with slaughtering and butchering their two pigs. UGH! I was invited but declined. I am happy to integrate but having been (almost) veggie for over thirty years I draw the line and hope they are not offended.

So bread for a week, cherry cake and cheese scones made, cottage cheese lunch and a nap in front of the fire before wading out to see to the chooks.

That weather sounds absolutely miserable 😟   It's been grey and drizzly here but thankfully nothing is frozen. Sounds like you've been pretty productive in the kitchen though!🍞
I don't blame you for not wanting to be witness to the butchering. I've been a vegetarian for years now and wouldn't want any part of that either. Yikes😧. Here's hoping you get a break in the weather sometime soon ☀️

tosca100

« Reply #1645 on: December 06, 2014, 13:54 »
We don't like the weather, but at least we are used to it and as l have had horses most of my life weather makes me grumble but l cope. l feel so sorry for the Bulgarians who rely on their crops and live in houses with dubious foundatins and walls. They usually have a low rainfall, this year is a disaster, poor things. Our first year we had a dry hot summer, (apart from thunder storms in June) mild and dry winter (With  a two week bitter and deep snow spell) so that is more normal.

Kevin, we would give a free bed to anyone, especially if they want to help out, but being three hours from an airport puts people off....even though those same people would be ok with arranged transfers from a package company. DIY puts them off.

Kevin67

« Reply #1646 on: December 06, 2014, 15:26 »
@ Tosca - I honestly cannot see why DIY would put anyone like-minded off. I see dozens of schemes here where people are happy to get stuck in.

Maybe if the DIY was presented as a skills/learning opportunity? For me, I would have bitten your arm off to slaughter a pig.

Maybe one day.... ;)

tosca100

« Reply #1647 on: December 06, 2014, 16:25 »
@ Tosca - I honestly cannot see why DIY would put anyone like-minded off. I see dozens of schemes here where people are happy to get stuck in.

Maybe if the DIY was presented as a skills/learning opportunity? For me, I would have bitten your arm off to slaughter a pig.

Maybe one day.... ;)

You are a strange one Kevin, but to be fair although OH has never been involved before and knows there is a better way of doing the job with less stress to the animal, things are getting better in more....er.....modern :lol: villages like this. But my the screaming of pigs goes on all through the month as many households keep at least one. just the way things are. But despite everything he has had a great day once the deed was done and has learned a lot about how different the preparation of the carcase would be to the UK. Also that the only waste from two very large pigs fit into one carrier bag! They will now be processing the meat and other bits and bobs for the next few weeks and passing spicy sausages, mince, slabs of fat and bottles of stuff over the wall, bless them. They are so grateful for any help, the lady of the house has great respect for animals even if the care is a little misguided and was happy to keep out of the way.

I know a few people who have volunteer workers from various agencies come over and do the heavy work for them, all for the price of a bed and a couple of meals a day (cheap enough in summer) Some have so much to do that they would never manage without them. I have a couple of friends who keep and kill their own livestock, but there is a man in every village who will do the initial killing.

Kevin67

« Reply #1648 on: December 06, 2014, 16:55 »
Yes, Tosca, I think quite possibly I am strange! You're not the first to say it, either! I take no offence.

I have been involved in the butchery process with a fully qualified and experienced butcher and take pride in giving animals a great life with a quality death. I think it is the responsibility of every meat eater to fully understand what and how meat is put in his/her mouth. I now eat less than 10% of meat than some years ago and I enjoy it more and waste less.

I have to say, though, I do have zero waste from animals - and I do mean zero waste. I think that is the only kind of respect to pay.

I would like to think in years gone by I would have been that general small-holder. I'd like to do it today but for lack of opportunity of finance or successful bartering system that would literally ensure self-sustainability. I think everybody has a 'core passion' and that's mine.

tosca100

« Reply #1649 on: December 06, 2014, 19:01 »
We were able to afford this on limited finance and though we thought it would take years to get going, thanks to those same neighbours who planted the garden before we arrived with plenty of veg (though limited variety) we had a good start and a very steep learning curve with regards preserving our food, and we have made mistakes and lost some money in the process. It is nice to owe nothing to anyone, but finances will be tight for the next six months. We will not starve though, that's for sure!

If you are interested check out my blog (globe under avatar)

And yes, I do understand what you are about. And although I am a veggie, my brother is a master butcher with a passion for good quality...though  terrible businessman! :lol:

xx
Early morning bird antics, happen to you?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 11:57
by DanielCoffey
xx
Book Club - the film

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 15:34
by mrs bouquet
xx
Morning all :)

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

222 Replies
Last post July 29, 2018, 10:01
by Growster...
xx
Went to my local Gardening Club evening...

Started by Rhys on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2018, 21:49
by Rhys

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 45 queries.