Glut of superhot chillies and other questions

• 8 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Glut of superhot chillies and other questions
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:02 »
My overwintered Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chilli plant has gone nuts, absolutely covered in fruit.  I've harvested a few for seeds next year and given a few to hot head friends but my plant still has 20+ fruits, all red and ready to pick.

I used the mere tip of one in a chilli con carne and it almost took the skin of the inside of my mouth! What am I going to do with all these?! Recipes please!

Also, despite being labelled as Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, none have the characteristic 'tail', Ive read sometimes they dont develop it however all the fruits are shaped more like 7 pot chillies. Is this normal or have I been missold?

Finally, Ive dried some seeds out for next year, when is best to sow them in the Southern UK, Jan-Feb?

Thanks in advance

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: Glut of superhot chillies and other questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:15 »
I'm just about to make a batch of Tomato Chilli Jam. The recipes are on the internet and the one I'm using is the Sarah Raven one printed in the Telegraph in 2013. It apparently gets hotter the longer you keep it!
For seed sowing I think you've got the time right - particularly if you've got a propagator or a warm window sill to start them off.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:21 »
I'm jealous! My chilli harvest is terrible this year compared to last. If you have a glut, let a few of them dry out and then grind them into chilli flakes, I always do this as the family don't like spicy food like me so I can add the heat after the food is cooked :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 10:47 »
I freeze chillies whole and then use a microplane grater to grate them from frozen.  Freeze on a tray in a single layer so they don't clump, then bag up.  If you grate part of a chilli from frozen, you can put the remaining bit back in the freezer bag for another day.

They can also be pickled and if you add sugar to the vinegar, this tempers the heat pretty well.  My sweet vinegar recipe is 1 pint white vinegar to 8oz sugar (it came from an old book).  You heat them together, then cool.  You need to pierce the chillies so the vinegar gat get inside.  I usually make cut marks down the sides, but you can halve them if you want.  Pack into a sterilised jar and pour the cooled vinegar mixture over to cover and seal.  They are a bit more messy to deal with if you want to cut them up for a recipe, but it does change the taste, whereas freezing will just preserve the super hot original  :)

I sow chillies late Feb/ early March.  They do need a longer growing season than tomatoes, but mine have to slum it indoors on the windowsills until it is warm enough in the greenhouse.  Only sow in January if you have bright frost free conditions for them to live in  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:01 by New shoot »

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:45 »
Some good ideas there, cheers folks!

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 15:46 »
To the above suggestions I'd add chilli jam and chilli chutney (Jamie Oliver's recipe is pretty straightforward)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 15:47 »
There is a number of other things you can use the chillies for.
You can make a chilli cream for aches n pains using coconut oil, olive oil and dried chilli.
I use it when my knees get bad with arthritus and it does help.
You can also use them in a citrus spray and spray brassicas, keeps the caterpillars at bay.
Regarding sowing, superhots require a longer growing season than the milder cayenne type, when I do grow them I start mine December, one point here tho, I use a grow tent and LED lighting.
Regarding the chillie itself, did you buy the seed from a registered company or say off ebay?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 19:53 »
Wow, plenty of things here to try out, thanks guys. I have a heated propagator so could start them early though Dec is a lot earlier than Id have sown them personally, no harm in giving them a go though!

They were from a Blumen packet though having sowed them in May 2018 it got too late for them to fruit so I gave a few away to people (who didnt look after them), kept 3 inside over winter, in January they all flowered but fruits never followed, the buds all fell off. I took two to the allotment which were 'liberated' by someone, this then flowered again and fruited prolifically.

Its the only one Ive seen fruit so cant say whether or not the shape was down to it being a rogue seed, rogue packet or even simply a result of not being sown, grown or looked after properly. Would have loved to have seen those scorpion tails!

Aidy, cheers, I wouldn't mind the recipe for the cream, I suffer myself with arthritis in my knees and feet.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 21:02 »
Below is the recipe but before you go smearing it all over try a small amount first to ensure your skin is happy and no adverse reaction.
The recipe uses cayenne but I found a hotter chilli (trinidad scorpion) is more effective.
Anyway here is the recipe taken from a Arthritus web site.
Oh and one final warning, best to use gloves to apply it or make sure you wash your hands well before you go you know where :nowink:

Reduce Arthritis Inflammation with this Homemade Cream

Ingredients

1/2 cup olive oil
    3 tablespoons cayenne powder
    1 cup coconut oil
    1 coffee filter or cheesecloth
    1 heat-proof glass jar or bowl
    1 glass jar with a tightly fitting lid for storage

Directions

Add olive oil and cayenne powder into a heatproof glass jar.
    Place that glass jar into a saucepan that contains about an inch of water to create a double boiler.
    Stir the mixture in the glass jar while the water simmers for 15 minutes over medium heat.
    Remove the jar to cool for 30 minutes.
    Strain the newly infused oil through a coffee filter or cheesecloth into storage jar.
    In a separate bowl, microwave the coconut oil for 20 seconds.
    Add the coconut oil to storage jar and mix with the infused oil.
    Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
    Apply daily as needed for pain.
    Store mixture in the refrigerator when not in use.

xx
Glut of Courgettes

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2020, 16:15
by mumofstig
xx
Radish glut.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 16:11
by shokkyy
moved
MOVED: Glut of PSB!!

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2022, 21:22
by Yorkie
xx
The glut continues !!

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 12:32
by green fingers

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 48 queries.